CVRT Scimitar - help with chassis number location!?

drboltz

Hello

This my first, non introductory, post so please go gentle!

I've an alvis scimitar, diesel based, released via withams last year and whilst i'm restoring it with the many missing parts they commonly strip (smoke dischargers, azimuth gear, turret controls, radio masts, stripped turret electrics, couple of periscopes etc) i thought i'd get its dvla paperwork underway to road register it.

The main issue for me is the sheer number of various welded numbers on the vehicle and determining which are the "VIN/Chassis/Frame No" to report to the DVLA so the first question is a somewhat simple one (i hope) - where is this commonly located.

The second question, and i saw another post on here about crossing a bridge with a 7.5 tonne limit so without wanting to get side tracked into crossing weak bridges, what "Tax Class" one should register the vehicle under? Would this be a private HGV? if so does this come under tacho rules or not as "private" ditto for "Body Type" and "wheel plan" the accompanying documentation they provide (DVLA) isn't really oriented to tank registrations!

I have no issue with having it registered weight wise over 7.5 ton, whilst i have not taken it to a weighbridge (!) stats for what i see say 7.8 ton revenue weight and 7.5 ton unladen, does that look right?

Whilst i am happy mechanically with the vehicle, so far!, this kind of stuff is way outside of my knowledge and comfort zone so looking for some friendly heplful advice please?

Hi

Mine was 02 FD 03 - i made a FOI request and got its merlin report this week too.

I can't locate said hull number, found an "SBxxx" but thats it on front mid section.Rest of number on outside located on outside of engine bay area.

The hull number is the SCI-xxx number. What is the military registration number?

Chris

Ok, well that explains why you won't find an SCI number. Your vehicle was built as a Scorpion, then converted to a Sabre, and finally a Scimitar. You'll be looking for an SCO number. The tag with this number is welded to the back of the hull, see attached photo.

SAM_3635.jpg

Wahoo, yes that looks familiar, all be it they have stuck a scafolding bar in as the barrel sprayed black!

I can see on the merlin report actually its been converted 24/03/80 and then before it went to the royal Hussars in 95.

I think this is your vehicle...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106584[/ATTACH]

That conversion in 1980 was probably fitting clansman radios. The sabre conversion would have been in the early/mid 90s and the scimitar conversion between 2004 and 2014.

Post some photos and the Merlin report in this thread, there are some de-coding experts out there!

Chris

Hi. Thanks timbo for your help I have sent off with some of your answers as mine and will see what they say. The merlin report shows first date of service so hoping they accept that for dating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk