1987 GS 110 Trailer Warning Light Fixed!

APCMAD

Hi all,

I have just managed to fix an indicator/hazard fault on my 1987 GS 110 and wanted to share my findings with anyone else who may be suffering the same symptoms, and consequently save you money through not buying unnecessary parts.

I apologise if this is posted elsewhere but after a quick search I couldn't see anything.

Ever since I've owned this vehicle the indicators have had various intermittent faults ie:

They would stick on.

The relay (flasher unit) would sometimes fast click.

A brand new relay would fast click when first fitted then work normally.

The trailer warning light on the dash would not work at all or would flash constantly with the indicator dash warning light even though no trailer is connected.

The trailer warning light is supposed to momentarily flash once but only when no trailer is fitted and constantly when it is.

It should flash on it's own when the hazards are operated along with the red tell tale bulb in the hazard switch itself.

Any proper auto electricians please feel free to laugh or correct me but the answer is actually so simple I was going to post this in the 'I may be stupid' section!

In my case there was no need to replace indicator stalks or hazard switches or go looking for chaffed wires, nor did I need to dismantle the 12 pin nato trailer socket to check for corrosion or even replace the side repeaters as they were rusted, but I did all the above anyway!

The answer? The wrong relay was fitted! The one that came with the vehicle was the wrong one so any new ones I bought were copies of the same type.

If you have 5w side repeaters on your landy DON'T fit Lucas or any other units that have 2+1×21w and 6×21w written on the side as this is telling you it will power 2 vehicle indicators and 1 on the trailer or 6 bulbs (4 vehicle and 2 trailer) with the hazards on.

This makes no account of the extra 2×5w side repeaters on the wings!

I therefore, (when the penny dropped) bought a Bearmach flasher unit with 21w×6+(2×5w) and 21w×(2+1)+(5w) which will operate a total of 8 bulbs, 4 vehicle + 2 repeaters + 2 trailer.

Result? All now works as it should!

Again, apologies for waffling on and probably stating the obvious, but this drove me mad for months and I hope my findings can help someone else.

All the best.

Mark.

Edited by APCMAD