Any idea what this is?

Starfire

Question

There are two of these things in a back room of the museum, and we aren't too sure what they are. One is more complete than the other, but neither have any real markings on them. My best guess is some sort of kerosene heater.

WP_20150508_011.jpg

Cheers,

Terry

WP_20150508_012.jpg

WP_20150508_013.jpg

WP_20150508_014.jpg

WP_20150508_015.jpg

4 answers to this question

There are two of these things in a back room of the museum, and we aren't too sure what they are. One is more complete than the other, but neither have any real markings on them. My best guess is some sort of kerosene heater.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104057[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]104058[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]104059[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]104060[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]104061[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Terry

No 1 burner used for cooking when in the field. Usually put in a trench so flame can shoot out severalk feet along trench heating pots placed in shaped plates put across trench. RUNS ON PETROL great when used correctly but lethal in the wrong hands, a bit like cooks and food.

Thanks! I looked them up and it appears that the heat shield is on backwards and there are a number of missing components, which is probably a good thing, otherwise I'd be tempted to try it out :D

Cheers,

Terry

Do not do what one of our cooks did on excercise in Cyprus.

Do not under any circumstances try and refuel it without releasing the pressure first.

He had about 75% burns fortunately we were on Akamas beach and threw him straight into the sea.

Casevac out by chopper.

When he eventually returned to the unit the Chief Cook made him the outdoor cookery instructor.