sankey mk1 draught eye removal

Hi, am having trouble removing the draught eye unit from my FV2301a mk1 1/2 ton sankey, hopefully you guys can help!

I have removed the 2 long bolts that stop it rotating and have removed the large 2 1/4" nut from the back.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/album.php?albumid=735&attachmentid=92059

There are 2 discs behind the nut that rotate with the draught eye unit, I think I need to remove these, do I need a special tool?

Are they threaded and need to be unscrewed?

Is there a manual I can purchase or an EMER published?

All help greatly appreciated, Gareth.

Edited by bumper

Gareth I don't have a trailer like yours & having difficulty trying to see how it would fit in with the info I have. But some Mk 1 trailers were modified by being reamed & split pins fitted then peened over so they may not be easy to spot.

App0322.jpg

No I don't think it is a later type Gareth. It is EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U 209 Misc Instr No.5 April 1966 for Trailer, 1/2 Ton, 2 Wh, Mk 1, All types (Post War Pattern)

The actual draught eye is LV9/BTR FV11520 or FV11558

The next Misc Instr refers to Mk 2 & later Mk 1 fitted with LV9/BTR/FV183470 refers to fitting a slotted nut with a hole drilled in the shaft for a split pin.

Ok, stuck now

need to remove these discs, one is steel the other is brass, 4 holes in them, 1 every quarter, 2 are tapped to take the long bolts, the other two are shallow and cannot see into them.

There is no apparent clearance for them to pass over the threaded portion leading me to believe they may be screwed on, any ideas?

trailer 007.jpg

trailer 004.jpg

Edited by bumper

Gareth I doubt that a User Handbook exists. It is not listed in my 1974 catalogue & besides it wouldn't provide the detail you need.

In theory if there was a Technical Handbook - Technical Description, it would have appeared as EMER WHEELED VECHLES U 202. Looking in EMER WV A 001 that is the Detailed Index no such publication is listed.

The only other hope is some clue in a Modification that touches on your problem. Looking in EMER WV U 207 Index there is nothing relevant nor is there a Miscellaneous Instruction in EMER WV U 209 that would help I'm afraid.

It might be worth asking if someone else has had the same problem on http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/forum/ and http://forum.emlra.org/

• 2 weeks later...

OK, at last, job done, for those interested and for future reference the disc i was trying to remove is keyed on the shaft, it also has a boss that goes into the chassis, hope my pics will explain!

Brute force and ignorance played a major part here, bits were pretty well seized together, had to spend £30 on a slogging spanner to get the rear nut off!

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg