changing a bedford mk to turbo

David Ives

Question

ok how easy would it be to change a bedford mk 330 multi fuel to a turbo version of the bedford mj without having to change the whole engine over

can you just change the exhaust manifold and air intake over or is there more to do than that

can any mechanics help with this

3 answers to this question

ok how easy would it be to change a bedford mk 330 multi fuel to a turbo version of the bedford mj without having to change the whole engine over

can you just change the exhaust manifold and air intake over or is there more to do than that

can any mechanics help with this

The fuel injection pump is totally different, a DPA rotary pump against the old inline.

As Richard says, the MJ is not multifuel and has the civvy type DPA pump for the low blow turbo. The high blow turbo uses a Bosch pump. Intake and exhaust systems are different as you have already said - not just the manifolds but the plumbing as well. It's a long time since I've rebuilt one, but I think on the high blow the pistons are different, can't remember on the low blow.

Why do you want to change it, David?

As Richard says, the MJ is not multifuel and has the civvy type DPA pump for the low blow turbo. The high blow turbo uses a Bosch pump. Intake and exhaust systems are different as you have already said - not just the manifolds but the plumbing as well. It's a long time since I've rebuilt one, but I think on the high blow the pistons are different, can't remember on the low blow.

Why do you want to change it, David?

would like to get better power out of it and improve its performance