12x12 Tent End Sections and Main Section Differences...Plus MK1 to MK3 Questions

gung

Question

Hi Mates!

Got some Questions about the 12x12 i cant come along wit an answer...

In MY oppinion the Main Sections and the End Sections MUST be "counted" in different ways, and you can´t just say it is a MK1,2 or 3 Tent, right???

Maybe someon can count the different end sections for me first?

Types i know:

MK1: GS (MK1?) - Just a straight wood toggled openening in the Middle from bottom to top

MK1: Passageway - rollup square opening with lashes on outside to connect a "Tunnel", no mozzie net and

no zipper?

END SECTION MK1 WITH PASSAGEWAY ATTACHMENT 8340-99-369-1162

MK1: Penthouse Connetion?!? - never seen, does it exist? To connect it to an FV Penthouse Tent?!?!

--------

MK2: GS? with rollup square opening with mozzie net and Zippers

--------

MK3: GS? same as GS MK2 + Ventilation Opening on Top ?

MK3: FOR SHELTER CATERIIGOFCS 8340-99-147-7465 Whats te difference to the "normal" one?

and - what is this one here exactly?

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=29649&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1277218815

-----------------------------------------------------

Roof and Wall Sections....

MK1: - seen a very old one with Vent openings on top...

MK1: GS - The normal one....

MK1: Catering?!?

MK2: ??????

MK3: Catering

MK3: With Velco for Ground Sheet and Side Panel for Heating applications (or is THAT MK2)

Please Help me Out :-)

I Also Know There is a Passageway "Tunnel" + a 4-sided Connector Tent to dock tents and Landy´s..

Is there a Connection between the 9x9 MK3 and the 12x12?

and at least

PATTERN.... ("99Pattern" for example) Does pattern mean the "COLOUR" or does it also mean "MODEL"?

The newer Tents i seen looks more blue-greenish than the old ones which looks more brown-olive...when did this change?

so many questions, thanks for your Help!

Cheers Gung

6 answers to this question

Gung I'm not quite sure of all the points you are making or indeed all the questions.

Apart from the question of extensions, there are two types of 12x12.

I think the photo (without roof vents) is:

SHELTER, PORTABLE, MOBILE AIR MOVEMENTS SECTION 12ft X 12ft J1/8340-99-127-6333

Then more commonly there is:

SHELTER, GENERAL PURPOSE 3.6m x 3.6m (12ft x 12ft) J1/8340-99-120-8579

Sometimes fitted with:

SHELTER, GENERAL PURPOSE 3.6m x 3.6m (12ft x 12ft) EXTENSION J1/8340-99-135-9601

Furthermore SHELTER, GENERAL PURPOSE 3.6m x 3.6m (12ft x 12ft) J1/8340-99-120-8579 was a replacement other shelters of similar size:

SHELTER PORTABLE No.12 Mk 2 J1/8340-99-120-3743

SHELTER PORTABLE UNIVERSAL ASSEMBLY 'A' J1/8340-99-462-4682

SHELTER PORTABLE UNIVERSAL ASSEMBLY 'B' J1/8340-99-462-4683

SHELTER PORTABLE UNIVERSAL ASSEMBLY 'C' J1/8340-99-462-4666

SHELTER PORTABLE UNIVERSAL ASSEMBLY 'D' J1/8340-99-942-4591

Hi!

Ok, mayby to many and complicated questions to describe them proper for my poor english....

What I think - You may have a NSN for the hole Tent/Shelter in complete ... and also you will have a NSN for the single parts...

-Wall and Roof Section

-End Section

-Brackets

-Pins ...........

BUT! -

There is not only one type of end section, there are mayby 5 to 10 different all together

marked with a specific name(and NSN), as GS, Catering, Passageway.... And you may also have different MK´s

as you may have an old Catering section maybe called MK1 and an improved one called MK3

Same with the Main (Wall and Roof) Section....

Right?!?!?

Cheers Gung

Gung in addition to those types I mentioned above there is:

SHELTER, LIGHTWEIGHT 3.6m x 3.6m (12ft x 12ft) J1/8340-99-120-6736

PASSAGEWAY, SHELTER, STRAIGHT J1/8340-99-130-2183

PASSAGEWAY, SHELTER, STRAIGHT EXTENSION J1/8340-99-130-2301

PASSAGEWAY, SHELTER, 4-WAY CONNECTOR J1/8340-99-130-2184

I can't find any references to specific roles such as catering in the later tentage. The obsolete ones I mentioned like Assembly 'C' was mobile blacksmith/mobile cookhouse, 'D' bakery oven. But these were rather different in construction to the 12x12.

Yes you are correct that within each NSN for a complete shelter the component parts have their own individual NSNs. If there are any of them that you want me to identify I can see what parent shelter they were designed to match up to.

Hi Clive!

Thank you for your detailled answer!

I will try to have a look for some different Pics where i can also verify the NSN´s

---------------

12x12 Shelter Lightweight?! Never seen - is ist an old version with thinner Canvas, or a new one wich is just in Service?

---------------

As i have a Penthouse Tent from an FV, (might be from an FV432 command post)but no Poles and Frames at all -

- Have you ever seen an end section to close the tent when the FV is dismoutet? I seen that the FV itself is

the last "frame", but maybe the tent can also be errectet freestanding?!?

- Have you ever seen an FV Penthouse attached to an 12x12? Hopefully this is the same Size as the Passageway

addon´s, but i think this is just in my dreams compartible...

- Do you have pictures and/or of the Poles and Brackets usually used for the Penthouse FV Tent?!

Next summer i will try to set up the penthouse tent and make a frame for it... if the 12x12 cross brackets will have the same angle i could try it with them... if you will have correct mesurements for the Poles it would be a big Help!

Cheers Gung

......aaahhh found this:

http://www.fv432apc.com/fv432webzine/issuetwo/ces/fv432_penthouse.html

Edited by gung

Gung the lightweight 12x12 was principally for the RAF.

I don't have details of modern stuff I'm afraid. All the tentage I have mentioned appears in the Joint Service Handbook of Tentage JSP 361 plus the details of individual tents in supplements JSP 361/1 - JSP 361/22. These are all from the 1980s.

I also have Stores & Clothing Research Development Establishment "Tents & Shelters in Service & under Development" 1973. Plus a few hand books & Equipment Table Schedule 3184/4 for the 12x12 GP.

That was a nice link to the FV432 shelter. There are a few other odd shelters here: http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/SHELTERS.pdf