1st Issue "Korean" British Army Gabardine Combat Smock

wdbikemad

008.jpg

The first (production) issue British Army combat smock............

Made between 1951 and 1952 in olive-green wind-proof gabardine fabric and fully-lined in the same cloth...........matching hood too ! Hood sizes later changed from "Small" and "Large" to Size 1 and Size 2...........

Issued with matching lined trousers, these first-issue "Korean" combat's were light in weight on account of the gabardine cloth used.......but field use found the fabric not robust enough for extended field use.........so, from 1952 onward a change was made to heavier satin-backed cotton-drill ("Sateen") for the outer and windproof gabardine for the lining.......making for a heavier if more hard-wearing set of garments..........at the same point the trousers had the lining deleted ! But in fairness, they were ideal for summer use and in the winter a set of wool-pile trouser liners could be worn along with long-drawers............

Stocks of the first pattern remained on issue until exhausted........although I've got a few pairs of the early trousers the 1st issue smock in gabardine has eluded me for years............but all comes to he who waits and a mis-described item (listed as "1960 Pattern") on Ebay finally provided me with an example in top-class condition and a good size too..........

These were the fore-runner of the 1960 Pattern, and there are a few differences between the two patterns...............

005.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

Hi Jason, hope you are well :-D

It was listed on Ebay of all things at a cheap price but wrongly described as a "1960 Pattern"..............only one photo, but I noticed the light-green buttons (always a clue for the earlier types) so put in a sensible bid.........I couldn't tell if it was gabardine or sateen but wasn't too bothered all told - just looked a nice early example ! But when it arrived and I saw it was gabardine I was delighted as been searching for one of these now for a long time.........

It's in really good clean condition too, hasn't been washed and a decent size..............another thing ticked off my (very) small list now of things still to acquire............

I saw this and thought about bidding, but in the end I didn't as I thought it was a 53 pattern and I already have a NOS example. It seems I missed out on something really good! I don't mind too much though, as it has gone to the right person and will doubtless appear in his book....(did you spot the unsubtle hint there?) ;)

I saw this and thought about bidding, but in the end I didn't as I thought it was a 53 pattern and I already have a NOS example. It seems I missed out on something really good! I don't mind too much though, as it has gone to the right person and will doubtless appear in his book....(did you spot the unsubtle hint there?) ;)

Thanks Edward !! If I want something though, I generally get it !!!!!:-D Luck maybe...........:-\