Stolen ford Gpw glove box lid and data plates

Griffo

Hi all, just a heads up! I recently sold a 1942 ford Gpw glove box lid with 3 brass data plates on ebay to a person in Jakarta Indonesia, I used ebays postal service and posted the item off, 6 weeks on and the buyer has told me he hasn't received them?

I've now found out I'm not covered as the postal service paypal used did not add a tracking number so if anyone comes across a glove box lid with 63368 they're mine and are reported as stolen!

Regards

Dave

Ok call me stupid (cos I might be) but why would anyone buy a set original of data plates for a vehicle they dont have ?

I have seen this before and wondered why....I would have thought the REAL value of both the plates and the vehicle is if they are united . I'm open to reasons.;)

Some people do collect things like this just to have on the wall / in a case / in a box in the loft. Some people collect them for historical research / information. Some buy them as templates for making replica plates. Some people collect them to ring other Jeeps with. Who knows?

This does however sound like a known Paypal scam, typically done with high value collection only items but can be done if buyer sends using a non-trackable delivery service. Buyer pays with Paypal; buyer turns up and collects item (or item is sent to buyer in some way that can't be traced); buyer claims item was not delivered / not collected / they refused it because it's not as described or damaged; Paypal reverse the payment; buyer has item and money, seller has nothing.

If you want the benefit of eBay and Paypal's frankly poor and very limited seller protection, ALWAYS send items via a trackable service, and if possible always take cash on collection or direct bank transfer for collection only items.

Don't feel obliged to use eBay's postal service either; it's dearer and more limited than many other services out there. Most of the main carriers offer a service that you can buy on their website without needing an account, and aggregators like P4D offer very good deals with the major carriers.

" Some people collect them to ring other Jeeps with"

Mmmm being a little skeptical.......I tend to agree with the above statement.

Still not sure it should be headed "Stolen" it gives the first impression they were lifted from a jeep.

I wonder when people will wake up to the shear amount of ebay scams about, or of course as some people buy and collect these then they could of course be lost in the post.......yeah right.

Well, 'Illegally obtained by deception Ford GPW glove box lid and data plates" would be a bit of a clumsy title. My sympathy's with Dave, it's so easy to get stitched up these days, online or off, particularly if you're a genuine person and others take advantage of your honesty.

Well, 'Illegally obtained by deception Ford GPW glove box lid and data plates" would be a bit of a clumsy title. My sympathy's with Dave, it's so easy to get stitched up these days, online or off, particularly if you're a genuine person and others take advantage of your honesty.

I will not disagree with you, thats why WE all need to be more careful.

Most people I know get caught by the old chestnut....."a free lunch". We all know there is no such thing, or come to that there is no snake oil either.

On the whole I refuse any ebay dealings outside of the UK, If and its a big IF I did, I would only accept Western Union payment, you know the type that's used when you send money to Nigera for that cloud with the silver lining......

Its a shame for Dave but at least its highlighted another scam, beware SELLER.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, I sold the data plates on 6th July, the buyer said they would raise to a claim 30 days from the latest estimated delivery date which was 1st August, nothing has been raised yet and the buyer has not come back to say they''ve received them?

How long do they have to raise a claim?

Dave