Rover 8 FFR Restoration

I spent a few hours on Toastie today to get her running up.

i had to remove civi dizzy, coil, plugs and leads etc and replace with screened items as original

used old series 3 lightweight parts and NOS I had in stock, hence the set up on rocker cover.

after setting timings she fired up after a couple of turns, so today went really well.

Image of engine bay with 24v ignition components in place for start up attempt

image_zpsb76809f4.jpg

Running and showing charging on revving up. Confirmed by AVO meter too

image_zps380e4852.jpg

Ran up to temperature okay

image_zpsc5eaeb02.jpg

While Engine was warm I used some Swarfega degreaser to clean off some grime, which was very effective

image_zps1dbf4156.jpg

Good day today.

Awesome dude bet your glad you didnt sell it now :-)

Yes mate.

Today was Christmas Day early. They say things happen for a reason !

Don't they??

a few jobs to attend to but very satisfying day today.

Cheers

I had a look at the gearboxes in a little more detail yesterday evening.

I appear to have a complete SII box/transfer.

A Separated SII box (split box and transfer).

A SIII or early 90 complete box/transfer.

I've attached some photos. I would like to know more about the 90 reference box, as this may be 5 speed??

I am assuming as it is in great condition that a swop for the SII bellhousing and clutch actuation linkages and brackets that I could use this box?

If anyone has any thoughts on the parts photographed and their numbers that would be most helpful.

Thanks

200714011_zpsbfb3b5db.jpg

200714013_zpsc59348e9.jpg

200714012_zps443735b7.jpg

200714014_zpseff83d97.jpg

200714015_zpsc25ed6f7.jpg

200714016_zpsad774f7d.jpg

200714017_zpsd1becedb.jpg

Wayne looks as if the coil is connected incorrectly. The screened filter box lead should go to SW on coil not CB.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94612[/ATTACH]

OMG Clive well spotted. What damage could occur as it started and ran for a short while.

Please advise asap

Thanks for spotting.

What a Blonde!

No great damage Wayne. Just that you will need about 10% more HT to get a spark with are positive spark rather than a negative. Long term reversed polarity can cause rotor arm metal loss rather than deposition.

Large numbers of coils like yours are fitted incorrectly & I saw many at W&P. Owners often not pleased or non-believing so I have largely given up mentioning the matter. But as your are friend Wayne I thought you would want to know.

It is easily done as the coil is provided with the clamp fitted 180 degrees out. This is the problem for most Rovers. it is very understandable to fit the coil as it is presented from the box. It is a widespread mistake that I have seen fitted in service & with new owners. It is very common & many fall into the trap :-D

No great damage Wayne. Just that you will need about 10% more HT to get a spark with are positive spark rather than a negative. Long term reversed polarity can cause rotor arm metal loss rather than deposition.

Large numbers of coils like yours are fitted incorrectly & I saw many at W&P. Owners often not pleased or non-believing so I have largely given up mentioning the matter. But as your are friend Wayne I thought you would want to know.

It is easily done as the coil is provided with the clamp fitted 180 degrees out. This is the problem for most Rovers. it is very understandable to fit the coil as it is presented from the box. It is a widespread mistake that I have seen fitted in service & with new owners. It is very common & many fall into the trap :-D

Thank you so much. I really appreciate you flagging it to me. I never spotted it.

Also very relieved that I haven't buggered the thing up.

I will rectify and whilst doing so I will check the state of the rotor arm etc.

You indeed are a friend.

A bloody good one.

:-D ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Obtained a copy of Toasties B Card today and not what I was hoping for, but suspect she had an easy life?

BCard_zpsaa8c7212.png

I note that its date into service was Jan 1965 with a date in pen aside, which I suspect was Landrover build date?

It definitely had a quiet life with the TA but it was sat around for 2 years before being posted with 59 Sig Sqn.

Can anyone fill in the gaps of info and codes etc?

Ta