Dutch artillery tractor YA-328

Ian-K

I've had this a while but being made rendundant, starting up as a self employed IT consultant, getting Divorced, get married and having three more kids has eaten into my time for a few years.

My truck sat in a museum for twenty odd years, ended up on Ebay in Conwy North Wales where I bought it, got painted and driven (thrashed mostly) all the way to Gibraltar where it sat by the sea for six months with failed starter motor, coil pack, dynamo and a missing valve seat.

It moved to a relatives garage where it sat for six years while we argued back and forth about fixing it up or doing a diesel conversion.

Now its back at my house for an engine rebuild of some description.

Restoration is a slight misnomer, I want to restore it to good running order with sympathetic upgrades where necessary for things like headlights.

It needs a bucket load of TLC, the grease gun is going to get a good work out and the brakes need freeing off so I can roll it about to extract the engine.

When its running I will use it at least once for the school run, maybe twice as the boys are at different schools.

Some before pictures

13985094308_b7caf604e2_c.jpg

13985084967_5b3724afc5_c.jpg

14191837483_4e90f1e354_c.jpg

More to follow as time/money permits.

It has a Hercules JXLD which is a 5600cc straight six petrol.

There is more than enough power from this engine and it does about 5 Mpg once it is up to speed.

The very brave can start it on a handle which we did many times once the starter motor failed.

I'm a bit too short to do it with any sort of style, I have to jump up and down to reach the top stroke of the starting handle circle.

My friend is much taller but it misfired then kicked back at him and lifted him off the ground in a rather unexpected way, at least he wasn't planning to have any more kids :)

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to grab some spanner time over the weekend and took a few more photos.

The handbrake is now freed up, a bit of oil and some wiggling was needed but the front wheels are binding still.

Time has come to buy a new grease gun, mine gave up after two nipples so I then prepped the engine for removal.

My engine crane will be at its limits for both load and reach to haul that lump out but with the bumper off it should "Just" fit through the gap with the gearbox still attached.

14094502948_76b9c2deb2_z.jpg

14281150075_fdefc04b1b_z.jpg

Looks as though the steering box needs some TLC while I'm in there

14277840551_427db13670_z.jpg