Photo too big to attach

Rick W

Question

5 answers to this question

Firstly, is the picture a bitmap (.BMP) ?

If so, using your favourite picture editor, open the picture and from the menu bar select File / Save As.

I'd expect the Save As dialogue to offer to save it in the same directory ("folder") as the original. Under the list of files in the directory, there ought to be a dropdown offering (depending on the software) Save as File Type ...

Scroll through this dropdown list and find JPEG. A JPEG will reduce the size of a bitmap typically tenfold.

If your file is still too big, consider (again using your preferred picture editor) reducing the number of colours. Reducing the colour depth by one step will probably not make any significant difference to the naked eye. If it does, you can always go back to the original that you haven't deleted.

If the picture is "black and white", there is every possibility that it isn't, having subtle sepia hues instead. Your picture editor may allow you to select a grey scale colour scheme, rendering the picture in true black and white - and probably enhancing it - and again, save a vast amount of storage.

As a last resort resort, your picture editor may allow you to resize the image. Without knowing (and having) your picture editor, I cannot possibly tell you how to do this: it will be off the menu bar somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Edited for temporary dyslexic interlude.

Am trying to attach a photo(s) to a post, my file size is 656 mb, and I know it says on the bottom max file size is 256mb, how do I get the photo size down to fit? (And dont say use a pair of scissors!) :?

You can also send it to me.

I can resize it for you and send it back for you to post.