Ferret steering linkage(s)

WCMatt

Hey guys!

I now have the linkage pins that connect the steering wheel to the outter steering boxes. These pins are held in place by a pair of cotter keys (two keys per pin). It's been so long since I removed them that I can't remember if there was a (flat) washer also in there as well? Or are the pins held in place by just the keys alone?

It seems like it would be a weak link in the design to have a four ton off road vehicle's steering system dependant of four little cotter keys......

Regards,

Matt

Hey guys!

I now have the linkage pins that connect the steering wheel to the outter steering boxes. These pins are held in place by a pair of cotter keys (two keys per pin). It's been so long since I removed them that I can't remember if there was a (flat) washer also in there as well? Or are the pins held in place by just the keys alone?

It seems like it would be a weak link in the design to have a four ton off road vehicle's steering system dependant of four little cotter keys......

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

In nearly 40 years of working on Ferrets, I have never known a cotter fail in this application, so providing it is a good fit/correct size, you should have nothing to worry about.

cheers Richard

Well.......Just came in from the shop after installing the aformentioned linkage pins. No way a washer(s) would have fit on there along with the cotter keys. So it's just the cotter keys which seems to jive with my (somewhat) fuzzy memory on how those things were/are supposed to go back together....

Matt