J60 Build Date - Tag on engine, where?

martinwcox

Anyone know if and or where the engine build date might be found.

Thanks,

Martin.

Martin,

Are you asking about the date the engine was made (originally) or when it was rebuilt? These engines could have gone through several rebuilds in their life and each time they went though this process a data plate was fixed to the engine, usually on a cam box, it gave a code for the Workshop that undertook the rebuild and any variation in bore size, main and big end bearing sizes, with the date of completion. Plates on J60 engines were often stuck on and seemed to fall off in service. When I was involved in engine rebuilds we usually riveted the plate to the block.

Richard,

When it was originally manufactured.

Thanks,

Martin.

Martin,

Are you asking about the date the engine was made (originally) or when it was rebuilt? These engines could have gone through several rebuilds in their life and each time they went though this process a data plate was fixed to the engine, usually on a cam box, it gave a code for the Workshop that undertook the rebuild and any variation in bore size, main and big end bearing sizes, with the date of completion. Plates on J60 engines were often stuck on and seemed to fall off in service. When I was involved in engine rebuilds we usually riveted the plate to the block.

Martin

Just checked some rebuild paperwork I happen to have to hand, and it does not show original build date anywhere. There is the paperwork in the canister on the engine, but again i am pretty sure that will only show rebuilds and dates of mods being incorporated.

Could you just say 1973 - should be pretty close!

Tim