Steel Para Riot Helmet

Will16

Evening all,

I plan on doing a bit of Para NI stuff over the summer, and really want a riot visor for my steel Para helmet. Anyone know how these are attached? I brought a NOS visor from Stoneleigh. Is it a similar way to the Turtles?

parariothelmet_zps0e083d4c.jpg

Also on a side note, what this Para using to "help" the rioter along? Is it a one of the riot batons or the old picaxe handle?

Bloody-Sunday-001_zpsb498a8fb.jpg

Thanks,

Will

Also on a side note, what this Para using to "help" the rioter along? Is it a one of the riot batons or the old picaxe handle?

I think it is likely to be Truncheon wood (Hickory) O467/8465-99-4280-717 which was used widely by the Army in NI. Not actually a normal Army item of supply.

Note the DMC (Domestic Management Code) that precedes the NSN. This is 'O' not '0' & forming the CRISP based DMC. This is a Royal Navy code for ‘Individual Equipment including Handcuffs, Whistles and Batons’.

I plan on doing a bit of Para NI stuff over the summer, and really want a riot visor for my steel Para helmet. Anyone know how these are attached? I brought a NOS visor from Stoneleigh. Is it a similar way to the Turtles?

Similar but I think that you will find the visor for Anti-riot helmet with visor (ART) civilian pattern in your picture & below will be too narrow for a turtle.

App4028.jpg

I sold all my Army helmets but my recollection is that the ART helmet had a visor with a narrower arc than the turtle.

I don't think there was a visor for that second helmet. The one below NI Combat Helmet of which 2,300 were issued for troop trials for all units (was to be the forerunner for the "new general service combat helmet").

But you don't see to see many of this type around.

App4029.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Clive. Those helmets were introduced in the early 80's I think. Pretty cool though.

SH, I think they must of been retro-fitted on, possibly to the front chinstrap mounts.

Sorry to bring this back, but a related question;

Is it likely for Para's in the early 70's to have the old fibre rimmed mk1 helmet?

Thanks Clive. Those helmets were introduced in the early 80's I think. Pretty cool though.

SH, I think they must of been retro-fitted on, possibly to the front chinstrap mounts.

Sorry to bring this back, but a related question;

Is it likely for Para's in the early 70's to have the old fibre rimmed mk1 helmet?

Wouldnt have thought so in all honesty.

I sold all my Army helmets but my recollection is that the ART helmet had a visor with a narrower arc than the turtle.

I don't think there was a visor for that second helmet. The one below NI Combat Helmet of which 2,300 were issued for troop trials for all units (was to be the forerunner for the "new general service combat helmet").

But you don't see to see many of this type around.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90559[/ATTACH]

Have a couple of these somewhere. One made in black(not painted) and one in Green with some RA markings on it.