Mystery 68-style smock in proofed cotton

Edward53

Does anyone know what this is? It seems to be proofed gaberdine and feels halfway between waxed and ordinary cotton. The DPM is UK pattern. No sign that label or markings were ever present. Ring-style press studs and a heavy-duty brass zip. No hood button. The inner back buttons secure both the crotch flap and the poacher's pocket.

Grateful for any observations!

68 type smock 010.jpg

68 type smock 003.jpg

68 type smock 004.jpg

68 type smock 006.jpg

68 type smock 008.jpg

68 type smock 009.jpg

A bit of digging led to this thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?20762-1968-Pattern-Combat-Smock-Variants/page2

Mine has similarities to the smock in Post 18. "Well worn waxed jacket" is exactly how this one feels. Differences I can see are: Press studs not buttons, no FFD pocket, button cuffs not velcro, no reinforcing patches on arms, drawcords inside not out.

Having had a really good look, I'm now sure this has never had a label. It's lined with good quality cotton drill / gaberdine, evidently a faded pale green. There's one inside patch pocket at top left, same height as in a 60 patt smock. The button colour is between 53 and 60 patt. Quality and finish are high. Might this be a factory sample for a contract that never went ahead?

Edited by Edward53
clarification

I would first like to say I am not an expert, on anything.

I will however say that in the early 1980's I did see some things that were unusual and bear noting.

There was a habit of junior officers (who had money) to have items of clothing copied to their own design or specs.

I personally saw a subaltern in a guards unit with his own DPM jacket that initially looked exactly like any other but upon closer inspection had bespoke pockets and cuffs and the like. I had a friend who was also a subaltern in the same unit ask him about it and it was personally made for him. If I had not been there and seen it I would not have believed it. Apparently it cost him a bomb but he had the coin to do it.

I am offering this up as a possible explanation and to draw your attention to what went on at the time.

Very nice find, enjoy reading about your interest

Regards

Robin

Interesting post, Robin. That DPM jacket now doubtless hangs neglected in the back of a wardrobe, occasionally seeing the light of day to walk the black labs in deepest Surrey!

There's nothing ritzy about this one, and it's so unlike anything issue (that I know of) as to be presumably unacceptable for wear in service. It might be just a civilian jacket, but then you'd expect at least a size label (it's about medium). It didn't cost me much so it's not a big deal, but I'd like to know.

Hopefully wdbikemad will be along to offer an assessment at some point.

Interesting post, Robin. That DPM jacket now doubtless hangs neglected in the back of a wardrobe, occasionally seeing the light of day to walk the black labs in deepest Surrey!

There's nothing ritzy about this one, and it's so unlike anything issue (that I know of) as to be presumably unacceptable for wear in service. It might be just a civilian jacket, but then you'd expect at least a size label (it's about medium). It didn't cost me much so it's not a big deal, but I'd like to know.

Hopefully wdbikemad will be along to offer an assessment at some point.

He is indeed.......:-D......my thoughts are with the above observations......a 70s/early 80s commercial copy or a bespoke item..........the colouring is particularly from this era..........the zipper is not a known MoD manufacturer of the time, and the press-fasteners reminiscent of some para smocks and other garments from the era.............it should be noted that many para smocks, etc, plus waterproofs from the 80s used "Newey" brand fasteners and some late 70s manufacture the "rimmed" type shown on this garment as an alternative....I have a late-70s para smock fitted with the same fasteners and it is an issue item............

I have seen other variants of the 68 pattern jacket in my travels, including those made for overseas forces, NZ Army, and the commercial sector.............I guess that any copy of such would date from the same era ?