bedford mw radiator

bigtoemonkey

hi all was after some advice I have a Bedford mw 1944 I am missing out of the top of the radiator the spring and flanged sleeve and the threaded ring that all sits in side the filler neck and subsequently foams and surges water out of the rad cap whislt driving for a prolonged period of time was wondering if any one know of were I may be able occur these parts from any input would gratefull

I have all the parts you need .It has the old spring with it or I have a brand new spring I can sell separately .I would also replace the seal on the locking ring with a new o ring/seal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong , the locking ring needs to be 9/16" from the top of the filler neck.

Dave

Edited by Davey089

Don't think i have any of this set up on my rad and it certainly does spuey out the top on hot days.

Do you have a photo of the correct set up please?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard

The components as photo , the spring goes in first followed by the sleeve then the locking ring screws down 9/16" from the top of filler neck .The photo shows the old spring but i do have a brand new one that goes with it . I think this spare one I have is spoken for , if not I'll let you know

Dave

IMG_0468.jpg

That's great Dave...thanks.

So who does these?

Richard

That's the million dollar question . Its who if anyone has any laid around , I managed to get one a while ago .The spring is available while stocks last (new repo) ,its the brass pieces that are hard to come by I'm not aware of anyone having these made , and the usual suppliers don't have any NOS on the shelf .

I've just ordered up another spring to keep on the shelf as a spare

Dave

Edited by Davey089

I'm thinking about machining/brazing a sleeve up for my MW, when I brake hard the water sloshes to the front of the rad and she looks like she's steam powered!

Don't forget the little sealing ring on the underside of the castellated collar!

Where did you source the spring from? I was thinking about making one from piano wire.

My manual says 9/16" from the top too.

Mike

I'm thinking about machining/brazing a sleeve up for my MW, when I brake hard the water sloshes to the front of the rad and she looks like she's steam powered!

Don't forget the little sealing ring on the underside of the castellated collar!

Where did you source the spring from? I was thinking about making one from piano wire.

My manual says 9/16" from the top too.

Mike

Sent you a PM Mike

The sealing ring on one of mine is rubber and the other is like a PTFE material

Edited by Davey089

Richard, all those bits were in your truck , have they been thieved?

Everyone. Check bottom left on this page for a few useful new MW parts including rad springs.

http://www.yorkshiremvt.co.uk/salewants.htm

Maybe i'm being a bit thick Duncan ? I have not actually checked i have the parts fitted...just assumed i didnt as i'd experenced a few gushes! Mind you...that was on a very hot Beltring day, 3 hours non stop driving.

Richard

Maybe i'm being a bit thick Duncan ? I have not actually checked i have the parts fitted...just assumed i didnt as i'd experenced a few gushes! Mind you...that was on a very hot Beltring day, 3 hours non stop driving.

Richard

Duncan (Bigtoemonkey ) is having the bits .Might be worth just checking the spring(if its there) , mine was totally rusted to the verge of snapping

Dave

Richard

It could be it is just ready for a new spring then Richard? Mike H had these new ones made to original spec and has one in his truck. No problems with the surging from what I have seen/heard.