British Paratrooper boots?

uaoao

Has there ever been British Army Para boots? (IE: Ammo/DMS boots with higher legs). Its just that other countries came up with Paratrooper boots during WW2.

Hi

Not what I have seen. I do Para display and have only seen regular Ammo boots or SMS used.

I'm not sure about modern para, just ww2. Didn't need the high boot as wear waiters to keep the trousers in.

The trousers were either the standard BD trousers or the Para trousers with the extra pockets and slit pocket for the fighting knife.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Not what I have seen. I do Para display and have only seen regular Ammo boots or SMS used.

I'm not sure about modern para, just ww2. Didn't need the high boot as wear waiters to keep the trousers in.

The trousers were either the standard BD trousers or the Para trousers with the extra pockets and slit pocket for the fighting knife.

Cheers

Paul

I have always wondered that too. It was my understanding the high boots given to paratroopers was to provide extra ankle support on landing not to tuck your trousers into. I have only worn US leggings that do give you some ankle support but cant see the British Anklets doing the same thing. I guess I will find out on my Normandy trip this year...

There were trial copies of German side-laced boots in the early days of the Parachute Regiment but they were not adopted. A high version of the standard ammo boot was trialled with an extra cuff with eyelets added to the top of the boot. They were also fitted with thick crepe rubber soles. Once again though trialled, they were not adopted.

It can't have been a technical reason as the British shoe industry at the time was more than capable of producing quality boots. The reason must have been solely cost based and on perceived need. I guess the War Office felt the Parachute Regiment would have to make do with ammo boots and web anklets!

Cheers

Paul

There were trial copies of German side-laced boots in the early days of the Parachute Regiment but they were not adopted. A high version of the standard ammo boot was trialled with an extra cuff with eyelets added to the top of the boot. They were also fitted with thick crepe rubber soles. Once again though trialled, they were not adopted.

It can't have been a technical reason as the British shoe industry at the time was more than capable of producing quality boots. The reason must have been solely cost based and on perceived need. I guess the War Office felt the Parachute Regiment would have to make do with ammo boots and web anklets!

Cheers

Paul

Yes budgets I am sure. The thought of landing on hobnail boots makes my feet hurt!!!

Paul,

I guess in one sense you can see why. They were Airborne delivered Infantry, once dropped there was no need for a jump boot. I'm sure in those dark days of 1941 we couldn't afford fancy jump boots.

Someone must have studied the number of drop zone injuries and come up with a big fat NO!

Cheers

Paul

When I was R.E.M.E Attached to the Para's. During the Eighties, it was standard practice (Mandatory, in Fact!) to be issued & wear Puttees.

A little tedious to apply on a daily basis. But I HAVE to say, they gave excellent ankle support when applied CORRECTLY!

(Yes, there IS a CORRECT way & style to put them on!....)

I continued to wear Puttees after I was posted away from the Airborne. Till the end of My Regular Army Service Time.

Such was the comfort & ankle support, I enjoyed during wear!

After a Break of a few years after leaving the Army. I was 'Persuaded' to join the TA Reserves. Then we had the Boot's, Combat, High on issue.

There were a LOT of difficulities with this footwear, across the entire armed services.

But THAT, is another story!.............:cool2:

As 43 Reece correctly stated, we copied most of the early German para kit.......this included the smock and side-lacing boots..........later, a higher version of the ammo boot with moulded crepe-rubber soles..........latter deemed unnecessary.........

There are photos in Brian Davis's excellent book "British Army Uniforms and Insignia of WW2" (out of print) of the crepe-soled later boots............plus, many images showing early para's in training, some of whom retain both patterns of early trial boots alongside others in ammo boots and anklets.........

Dont know if they were issue of acquired but have period pics of some Paras during the Suez conflict and later 60s and they are wearing the SV boots and not Ammo boots.

If we're both thinking of the same photos, (3Para, CQMS and others) then the boots in the photo are actually CWW (Cold, Wet weather) as introduced in the Korean War. Boots SV are, as posted elsewhere, ammo boot uppers with Itshide commando soles.