bedford MW foot brake adjustment

Danny P

Need your help adjusting the rear brakes on my bedford MW!

I have turned the rear brake shoe adjusting wheels anti-clockwise (viewed from above) as far as they will go (shoes towards the drums). Subsequently applied pressure to the footbrake pedal to centralise the shoes in the drums, and again turned the adjusting wheels as far as possible.

Next I have to turn back the adjusting wheels until the road wheels rotate freely but I wonder how far should I turn them back? Are there a prescribed number of turns? I have tried a few turns and experienced that this will set the free space of the footbrake until pressure. How far should the free space of the footbrake pedal be (lost that feeling)? And how much is it allowed rubbing the shoes against the drums or what is meant by rotate freely?

Thanks,

Danny

Need your help adjusting the rear brakes on my bedford MW!

I have turned the rear brake shoe adjusting wheels anti-clockwise (viewed from above) as far as they will go (shoes towards the drums). Subsequently applied pressure to the footbrake pedal to centralise the shoes in the drums, and again turned the adjusting wheels as far as possible.

Next I have to turn back the adjusting wheels until the road wheels rotate freely but I wonder how far should I turn them back? Are there a prescribed number of turns?

Hi Danny,

You ask how many turns to back off the adjusting wheels, it should not amount to turns but the number of clicks. You click them off just enough for the wheel to turn freely. I do not know if you have relined the brakes over if these are the original shoes as this could make a difference if the shoes were new and not bedded in. Also the drums sometimes have a bit of ovality which you will notice when you turn them whilst adjusting.

Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

Richard,

Yes, we better talk about clicks rather than turns. But to my opinion the thickness of the shoes, from original ones bedded in or new ones, doesn't matter for the number of clicks turning back as the shoes are towards the drum as a starting point, or did I misunderstood you?

Still not clear to me how many clicks turning back or free space at the foot brake pedal!

I don't wish to contradict Richard at all , it is what I call a matter of feel. It is not possible to state the no of click's, if you move the adjuster at the same time as turning the wheel or drum by hand you will feel the linings release their grip. It is a matter of trial and error which comes with a bit of experience. I hope this clarifies things a little.

I don't wish to contradict Richard at all , it is what I call a matter of feel. It is not possible to state the no of click's, if you move the adjuster at the same time as turning the wheel or drum by hand you will feel the linings release their grip. It is a matter of trial and error which comes with a bit of experience. I hope this clarifies things a little.

Hi Degsy,

I can do these tasks with my eyes shut, but sometimes to put it in to written words, it may not convey properly, but to quote what I wrote "You click them off just enough for the wheel to turn freely" is exactly what you are saying. You nip the adjuster up until the wheel does not turn then back off one click at a time until the wheel turns free, this is doing it by feel. I would then apply the brakes a few times to square the shoes up and re-check.

Danny, I hope you understand the procedure now.

cheers Richard

Richard,

Yes, we better talk about clicks rather than turns. But to my opinion the thickness of the shoes, from original ones bedded in or new ones, doesn't matter for the number of clicks turning back as the shoes are towards the drum as a starting point, or did I misunderstood you?

Still not clear to me how many clicks turning back or free space at the foot brake pedal!

The reason I asked if they were new linings is because sometimes the may have a rough edge on them (a high spot) which rubs and give a false impression of correct adjustment. I normally run a file or coarse sand paper over them first if they have been relined. As I said in the previous post, no set number of clicks, as they say in the book, just enough for the wheel to run free.

Hi Degsy,

I can do these tasks with my eyes shut, but sometimes to put it in to written words, it may not convey properly, but to quote what I wrote "You click them off just enough for the wheel to turn freely" is exactly what you are saying. You nip the adjuster up until the wheel does not turn then back off one click at a time until the wheel turns free, this is doing it by feel. I would then apply the brakes a few times to square the shoes up and re-check.

Danny, I hope you understand the procedure now.

cheers Richard

Hi Richard, as I said I wasn't trying to contradict you in any way just attempting to put it into different words. As you say once you have done it a few times it becomes second nature. If they are the type where you have to set the linings with the drums off I chamfer the edges of the linings to ease the fitting and removal.