When was the desert DPM pattern introduced

WCMatt

Hello

I was wondering when where the first desert DPMs issued? More specifically, what pattern DPM where they based off of? For example were the first Deserts patterned after the P68 cut uniform or 85 pattern? I've never seen a pair of desert DPM pants with the button down belt loops, shell dressing pocket so I'd assume that the they were entroduced much later then the 1960s/1970s. I'm aware of the S95 & S2000 patterns but those would have been post Gulf War I?

I'm such a raw newb at this, what I don't know about DPMs could probably fill Wembly Stadium.....

Matt

Desert DPM introduced during the first Gulf War..........due to the urgent need for the gear, the existing design of tropical combat jacket, trousers and bush hat were used, and the DPM of existing pattern but "simplified" by the use of two colours only..........the usual SCRDE trial and design stages were binned with the first issue of desert DPM due to the sheer urgency.............

Subsequent issues of desert DP during GW1 were simplified to a degree from the original tropical design, all to speed up production............this included the deletion of the rear hip pocket and trouser fly buttons plus even further simplified DPM prints (the so-called "sparse" pattern on account of the - well, sparse cammo overprint).............

By 93-94 after GW1 the desert combat smock was introduced in heavy cotton, identical to the European "Smock, Combat, Temperate" of the era ("big" buttons and zip chest pockets)..............after CS95 clothing was introduced in 95-96 the DPM desert clothing followed a similar design to this.........

Worth noting that the British Army did trial a 4-colour desert DPM between the late-70s and early 80s intended for use by 5 Airborne Brigade but it didn't get past the trial stage as British involvement in a Middle Eastern war was then seen as unlikely............kit made was also based on the existing tropical combats of the time, plus a copy of the para smock and helmet cover were also made it seems.............I have also seen a copy of both the 68 pattern trousers and smock in 4-colour desert, made during the early 80s by "A Grantham Ltd" (MoD Contractor)...........both items UK made and identical to 68 pattern garments of the era in all detail.........a copy of the para smock was also noted............seems these were either late UK trial garments or made for a Middle-Eastern contract..........?

Edited by wdbikemad

Desert DPM introduced during the first Gulf War..........due to the urgent need for the gear, the existing design of tropical combat jacket, trousers and bush hat were used, and the DPM of existing pattern but "simplified" by the use of two colours only..........the usual SCRDE trial and design stages were binned with the first issue of desert DPM due to the sheer urgency.............

Subsequent issues of desert DP during GW1 were simplified to a degree from the original tropical design, all to speed up production............this included the deletion of the rear hip pocket and trouser fly buttons plus even further simplified DPM prints (the so-called "sparse" pattern on account of the - well, sparse cammo overprint).............

By 93-94 after GW1 the desert combat smock was introduced in heavy cotton, identical to the European "Smock, Combat, Temperate" of the era ("big" buttons and zip chest pockets)..............after CS95 clothing was introduced in 95-96 the DPM desert clothing followed a similar design to this.........

Worth noting that the British Army did trial a 4-colour desert DPM between the late-70s and early 80s intended for use by 5 Airborne Brigade but it didn't get past the trial stage as British involvement in a Middle Eastern war was then seen as unlikely............kit made was also based on the existing tropical combats of the time, plus a copy of the para smock and helmet cover were also made it seems.............I have also seen a copy of both the 68 pattern trousers and smock in 4-colour desert, made during the early 80s by "A Grantham Ltd" (MoD Contractor)...........both items UK made and identical to 68 pattern garments of the era in all detail.........a copy of the para smock was also noted............seems these were either late UK trial garments or made for a Middle-Eastern contract..........?

Nice potted history. I do recall Iraq using the 4 colour DPM desert and read this is why we didn't use it in GW1?