MV Show Southsea Common 7th - 8th June 2014

BIGREDONE

booked in now only thing is couldnt see where the secure parking is required between shows tick box is as will need it

David, Is that between the Overlord Show and this one?

If it is I will speak to my colleague from SOE, unless he has already picked up on this one.

Regards

Paul

David, Is that between the Overlord Show and this one?

If it is I will speak to my colleague from SOE, unless he has already picked up on this one.

Regards

Paul

yes paul parking between the 2 shows

as from eastbourne its still a 50 quid fuel round trip and i can get a bus back and i will have the cookhouse dispay running for hmvf members who want a coffee during the show

yes paul parking between the 2 shows

as from eastbourne its still a 50 quid fuel round trip and i can get a bus back and i will have the cookhouse dispay running for hmvf members who want a coffee during the show

We can offer parking on a military base, in the open, 10 miles from OVERLORD and then 10 miles to Southsea - so you will be doing 20 miles rather than 120. I would need your vehicle reg. and make and you would need some photo id - driving licence is fine - to show at the gatehouse.

As for buses there is the 700 Coastliner from Portsmouth to Brighton or the rail station at Emsworth which is served by Southern so easy enough for travel to Eastbourne - one change at Brighton, £24.00 with ticket booked in advance.

Only hassle is getting to either station or to bus stop, you are welcome to stay at OVERLORD until Tuesday 27th and someone should be taking stuff down that way (we have our own store on the base) and can then take you to bus or train, would have to negotiate a deal on coffees and teas with that person to get picked up several days later :)

We can offer parking on a military base, in the open, 10 miles from OVERLORD and then 10 miles to Southsea - so you will be doing 20 miles rather than 120. I would need your vehicle reg. and make and you would need some photo id - driving licence is fine - to show at the gatehouse.

As for buses there is the 700 Coastliner from Portsmouth to Brighton or the rail station at Emsworth which is served by Southern so easy enough for travel to Eastbourne - one change at Brighton, £24.00 with ticket booked in advance.

Only hassle is getting to either station or to bus stop, you are welcome to stay at OVERLORD until Tuesday 27th and someone should be taking stuff down that way (we have our own store on the base) and can then take you to bus or train, would have to negotiate a deal on coffees and teas with that person to get picked up several days later :)

ax40 pm sent

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just sent my booking form off.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over booking, the web site you need to go to is

http://www.portsmouthcommemorates2014.co.uk/anniversaries/details/the-d-day-experience

you can down load the booking forms from there

The event organiser is Craig Willcock who works for Portsmouth City Council contact details below

Craig Willcock

Cultural Development Officer

Seafront Services and Events Team

Portsmouth City Council

Seafront Services

Avenue de Caen

Southsea

PO5 3NS

T: 023 9283 4109

E: craig.willcock@portsmouthcc.gov.uk

Hope this helps as most people I spoke to at Overlord over the week end had no idea of how to book in and even if it was going ahead

Cheers

Richard

The show is nothing to do with OVERLORD but I got targetted along with Big Red 1 to help with the MV side. The City Council website did not exist at that time so I spent an afternoon putting together a quick and dirty lash-up and running it as a sub-domain from the Solent Overlord site as, not having worked for 18 months, I couldn't afford anything better.

I have been forwarding all emails for traders, living history and vehicles to the tourism office fao Craig Willock who has told me that he has replied to all by yesterday.

The PCC site went live sometime in May, a little late in my opinion if the intention was to catch people before their own local parishes, villages, schools and organisations captured them for D Day 70.

Hence the ....solentoverlord.co.uk part of it but it never has been nor was it intended to be part of the SOE remit to organise the event. That was purely down to PCC but they were taking so long to make a point of contact for vehicle owners I felt I had to do something.

Web hosting would have cost around £80 for a decent service a sub-domain from the SOE site was £30. On an income of £72 a week the second option seemed the better ....

I fully support Ax40 comments.

Just to give a bit of background I am a trustee of the D-Day Museum and this is the first time I have heard or seen the PCC booking in web site. I spoke to Craig just Tuesday and he never mentioned it.

Craig agreed that Ax40 would set up a site and all bookings would be made through that site, so I am a bit concerned that this has happened and I shall be speaking to Craig on this matter.

I have personally informed the MVT, SOE and the IMPS clubs of this event so they could push it out to their members. I have put calling notices on various forums and circulated leaflets at shows that I have attended.

PCC organisers have done very little if anything in advertising/notifying MV owners/Living history groups of this event until the last minute; it has mainly been myself and Ax40.

The bottom line is whichever web site is used the applications will all go to the same place.

As a side note I was told only Tuesday of this week that the site plan is still being worked out with only days to go. I do believe that the MV/Living History part of the commemorations has been harder to organise than the original D-Day landings.

See you on the beach.

I fully support Ax40 comments.

Just to give a bit of background I am a trustee of the D-Day Museum and this is the first time I have heard or seen the PCC booking in web site. I spoke to Craig just Tuesday and he never mentioned it.

Craig agreed that Ax40 would set up a site and all bookings would be made through that site, so I am a bit concerned that this has happened and I shall be speaking to Craig on this matter.

Much as I hate to contradict m'learned colleague I put together the temporary website without formal approval as it was obvious that PCC were way off schedule and somewhere was needed for all parties to register an interest in attending.

In all other respects BIGREDONE is correct. I fear that I am unlikely to see anyone on the beaches as my budget does not permit me to travel even the short distance to Southsea - have a good time everyone!

Hi All

Further to my previous post ....

When sending in booking form either by e-mail of snail mail you will have to send in a copy of your vehicle insurance certificate

As I understand it 40 MVs and 7 traders have booked so far

Cheers

Richard

Cant make up my mind if to wash some of the mud off after the Overlord show

• 2 weeks later...

it seems like there was a lot of confusion over the booking in when i arrived on wednesday security didnt know anything and finanly rang someone who pointed out a section on their map

i moved to the position and on thursday had a couple more turn up ended up with 3 vehicles staying overnight and over the couple of days the maximum we had was 8 vehicles

site would have been better if they had put the displays between the memorial and the d day musuem instead of using that field as a car park and stretching out everyone else

it seems like there was a lot of confusion over the booking in when i arrived on wednesday security didnt know anything and finanly rang someone who pointed out a section on their map

i moved to the position and on thursday had a couple more turn up ended up with 3 vehicles staying overnight and over the couple of days the maximum we had was 8 vehicles

site would have been better if they had put the displays between the memorial and the d day musuem instead of using that field as a car park and stretching out everyone else

Bigredone and I did what we were asked to do - which was to alert the MV and re-enactor movements to the show. We also pointed out the need for showers, security, toilets and rubbish disposal facilitiies to be available. I passed all the contacts on to Portsmouth City Council (I was not being paid for any of this or for setting up a website). The arrangements we had discussed and the area set aside for MVs seem to have been changed since my involvement with the project.

On behalf of Portsmouth City Council (with whom I have no connection) I can only apologise.

Bigredone and I did what we were asked to do - which was to alert the MV and re-enactor movements to the show. We also pointed out the need for showers, security, toilets and rubbish disposal facilitiies to be available. I passed all the contacts on to Portsmouth City Council (I was not being paid for any of this or for setting up a website). The arrangements we had discussed and the area set aside for MVs seem to have been changed since my involvement with the project.

On behalf of Portsmouth City Council (with whom I have no connection) I can only apologise.

there was no fault on what both you and bigredone did it just seemed that the layout was set up for the stalls and displays was spread out to much i think whoever had the site plan thought more was there or didnt realise the size needed the main plans for the event were a good idea and the vetrans enjoyed the day i even sat having a pint with the couple that were there

so well worth going as talked to a load of school children on the 5/6th

my only sugestion is if they ever have another event is they pass runing the military vehicle side over to other people to run it as the council didnt have a clue