British jeep M-number

Galea

Hello all, first post on this forum. I'm in Malta and currently restoring a Willys MB jeep which was used by the British Army, then sold to civilian ownership in 1947. The frame tag is missing but the hood number was M4985796. I know its a long shot, but are there any records which can shed more light on its history such as original frame number and army unit to which it was assigned? Regards, Joseph.

There will almost certainly be no details in the UK on this number. 4970101 - 4990100 are listed as 'Middle-East, Various Makes' which makes it almost impossible to pin down even a period.

Thanks for your replies. Which source describes this number range 4970101 - 4990100? Does it reliably indicate that M4985796 was operating in the Middle East?

JOSEPH the details of the number will have come from a document refered to as the chilwell list chilwell was and is were military vehicle records are held this list contains details of the contract numbers and the vehicle numbers issued during the second world war IT is more than likely your jeep did serve in the middle east the batch of numbers were as said given to other makes of vehicles besides your jeep

JOSEPH the details of the number will have come from a document refered to as the chilwell list chilwell was and is were military vehicle records are held this list contains details of the contract numbers and the vehicle numbers issued during the second world war IT is more than likely your jeep did serve in the middle east the batch of numbers were as said given to other makes of vehicles besides your jeep

Thank you, that is most interesting! Is there an online version of this Chilwell list so I may view it?