60 Pattern DPM Trs with extended 42"" waist.

Scotch Harry

Crap,hmmm,thought myself it was well done(granted in green denim material and not DPM!!!)

Lol ! No offence Harry ! I meant the colour choice, not the workmanship !! I guess that if issued early 70s and modified back then, there may not have been spare DPM fabric or scrap garments available to provide a match.......so essentially an interesting period modification possibly reflective of the time......?

Lol ! No offence Harry ! I meant the colour choice, not the workmanship !! I guess that if issued early 70s and modified back then, there may not have been spare DPM fabric or scrap garments available to provide a match.......so essentially an interesting period modification possibly reflective of the time......?

No offence taken at all.;)

I always liked the 1960 pattern DPMs the best. Colors in the pattern & the cut/ design of the uniform was out of all the variants, the most attractive to me. Wonder if anyone is reproducing them? Thanks for posting that image.

Matt

The colour variants in early DPM (pre-mid 70s) were indeed numerous and rather attractive......this was the result of a combination of dyes and the fabric used which was, at the period, satin-backed 100% cotton-drill originally introduced in the early 1960s to replace cotton sateen cloth (the descriptions used by the War Department)........fading and shrinkage were seemingly major issues with the material that prompted changes in the mid-late 70s to mixed-fibre fabric and improved dyes......

No copies of the 60 pattern combat garments made as far as I am aware........they would likely be horrendously expensive to manufacture today to the same high standard and the original fabric is long out of production, coupled with the zips, etc.........saying that, I do have the manufacturing specs for both smock and trousers !! :-D

006.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't save the details, but there was a 'fashion' combat jacket on eBay earlier this year that had obviously been fairly closely copied from a '60 Patt smock. If it had been in a bigger size, I might well have bought it. The listing mentioned a brand name, but nothing turned up when I googled it.

If someone wants to make a bomb, they should sell copies of the OG windproof Cadet smocks in 21st century adult friendly sizes.

Unfortunately I didn't save the details, but there was a 'fashion' combat jacket on eBay earlier this year that had obviously been fairly closely copied from a '60 Patt smock. If it had been in a bigger size, I might well have bought it. The listing mentioned a brand name, but nothing turned up when I googled it.

Interesting that you should mention that. I can remember a girl back in my highschool days (later 1980s) who wore one of those acid washed denim jackets. Reason why I remember it was because the designer obviously used a WWII Denison smock as the pattern. Even had the snaps & "flap" on the "skirt".

Matt

Interesting that you should mention that. I can remember a girl back in my highschool days (later 1980s) who wore one of those acid washed denim jackets. Reason why I remember it was because the designer obviously used a WWII Denison smock as the pattern. Even had the snaps & "flap" on the "skirt".

Matt

There may well have been some commercial copies of the 60 pattern gear made, but I'm not aware of any....though have seen copies of the old WW2-style "SAS" windproof for the fashion market.....

The Irish Army and some Middle-Eastern armies did seem to adopt a close copy of the 60 pattern smock and trousers, the former more closely following the design in both quality and colour whereas the latter adopted a spotted, almost "duck hunter" cammo and crap construction quality..........

Similar story with the 58 pattern Denison, although the manufacture and quality appears to be UK-based therefore arguably far better.........$T2eC16JHJG8FGsp!d0dDBR8(T7GPi!~~60_12kenya denison.JPG

The above was a Denison manufactured by James Smith & Co Ltd specifically for (and labelled as such) for Kenya.....(NOT my image, so acknowledgement to the image holder)

There may well have been some commercial copies of the 60 pattern gear made, but I'm not aware of any....though have seen copies of the old WW2-style "SAS" windproof for the fashion market.....

wdbikemad

That was most likey what she was wearing then. Yeah like what was posted earlier, I wouldn't hold my breath for reproduction 1960s combats to be produced anytime soon. Even though that would be nice :cool2:.

When I was in high school, I actually had a set of the '54 pattern combats that fit me (of course back then, I was 5'9" & 130lbs). I knew they were British but had no idea what they were. I only remember thinking that I had lucked out because the uniform's cut was so similar (identical?) to the early DPM uniforms of which I could not afford. Back then on this side of the pond, DPMs were rare & very expensive.

Matt

wdbikemad

That was most likey what she was wearing then. Yeah like what was posted earlier, I wouldn't hold my breath for reproduction 1960s combats to be produced anytime soon. Even though that would be nice :cool2:.

When I was in high school, I actually had a set of the '54 pattern combats that fit me (of course back then, I was 5'9" & 130lbs). I knew they were British but had no idea what they were. I only remember thinking that I had lucked out because the uniform's cut was so similar (identical?) to the early DPM uniforms of which I could not afford. Back then on this side of the pond, DPMs were rare & very expensive.

Matt

You share my sentiments........back in the 70s, DPM's were almost impossible to obtain on the surplus market......the few that were available were generally well battered and/or repaired, and commercial copies were commonplace, often for the "fishing market".........

The green 50s and 60 pattern combats were by then obsolete and not really sought after by anyone other than builders, students, etc.........they were commonly seen in the 70s TV shows such as "The Professionals", etc, generally worn by robbers and thugs !! They were also very cheap.........a large quantity of new size 7 - 9s were released onto the surplus market in the late 70s selling at around £12 each (a fair sum back then).......but around the same time you could buy a late-pattern Denison from Silverman's for £14.99 (I still have a copy of the catalogue !) and a new wartime serge BD blouse for a fiver..............you could buy all this (now) rare and valuable kit anywhere back then easily and for peanuts but not DPM....!!! :-D