New owner of Bedford MJ 1989

Carl_byrne

I recently bought a 1989 Bedford (AWD) MJ 330 turbo as a support vehicle for my 1906 steam engine. My primary interest is steam but my son is crazy on the Bedford!It has a CAV DPA pump with mechanical governor. The 1979 manual I have says the static timing is 12 degrees BTDC.However the flywheel has three markings - U/C (I know this is TDC), T and D.By measuring the diameter of the flywheel and the distance between the marks I estimate that T is 10 degrees BTDC, and D is 25 degrees BTDC. So which mark do I use to set the static timing - if any? Did the timing on the later 330 engines change that much from those described in my 1979 manual? Perhaps the flywheel is off a non- turbo 330?Everything on the lorry seems untouched from being cast from the military last year, after a full rebuild and a long period held in 'reserve'. It hasn't been messed about with in civilian life.Any advice on the timing marks would be appreciated.Cheers Carl.Sent from my iPhone

I recently bought a 1989 Bedford (AWD) MJ 330 turbo as a support vehicle for my 1906 steam engine. My primary interest is steam but my son is crazy on the Bedford!It has a CAV DPA pump with mechanical governor. The 1979 manual I have says the static timing is 12 degrees BTDC.However the flywheel has three markings - U/C (I know this is TDC), T and D.By measuring the diameter of the flywheel and the distance between the marks I estimate that T is 10 degrees BTDC, and D is 25 degrees BTDC. So which mark do I use to set the static timing - if any? Did the timing on the later 330 engines change that much from those described in my 1979 manual? Perhaps the flywheel is off a non- turbo 330?Everything on the lorry seems untouched from being cast from the military last year, after a full rebuild and a long period held in 'reserve'. It hasn't been messed about with in civilian life.Any advice on the timing marks would be appreciated.Cheers Carl.Sent from my iPhone

Hi Carl,

I was just about to reply to your email when I saw you had posted on here. I have not got a book on the Turbo 330, but the standard 330 diesel with the DPA pump was timed on the flywheel mark which is 24 deg BTDC. If it is the same as the turbo, then on the DPA pump ,there is a cover plate near mounting flange and if you look in there, there should be a mark on the rotor, with the letter B, this mark should align with the square end of the adjacent circlip.

After reading you post again, you say it mentions 12 degs to mark T, I am now wondering if this is a "turbo" timing mark and the D is for normal aspirated Diesel. Best get a second opinion here. It is a long way back since I was working on these and little details like this can escape the memory.

regards, Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

Hi Richard

Many thanks for you reply and information. Your suggestion re. T and D seems wholly sensible and obvious now buy I had not thought of it!

Sorry for posting on here before waiting for a reply to my email - my original email to you got bounced back to me and so I thought it wouldn't get to you.

Thanks again.

Cheers Carl.