Upgrading to armour?

Lanceng156

Hello all!

Been thinking about this a lot recently and just thought I'd ask what others views are.

I currently own a 1962 M201 Hotchkiss which I fully restored from the ground up a couple of years ago. Well I've got hot feet again and fancy a new project.....

I've always been drawn to Ferret's and am tempted by a Mk1, thus selling my Jeep to fund it. Does anyone have any hits or tips on what I should expect? Lol!

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Lanceng156

Runner or none runner?

If you have the money buy the best Ferret that you can with all the inner bins and boxes in position and with the five external bins in place and in good condition. With the best Ferrets I would expect to have all the CES that it is possible to own legally in the UK. Most of the CES is still available

Radios

Larkspur boxes and radios come up every now and again on ebay

Clansman radios, cables and boxes on ebay

Intercom a must approx 90 decibels when driving 30 mph plus

Mechanicals its 1940's - 50's technology plugs points and a condenser with some added quirks that become annoyances but seem to be typical of British AFV's (lack of thought for the person who has to work on the vehicles).

Can be driven on your own but for dual carriage way driving its best to have somebody up top.

The good thing with a ferret is that they are still reasonably easy to work on compared to larger armour. There's also a good community of owners. The maintenance/repair manuals are pretty decent from what I can remember.

Check your driving license to make sure you can drive it. If you have a modern license like I do, you may not have C1 which is a pain in the bum.

Edited by Lauren Child
typos

The good thing with a ferret is that they are still reasonably easy to work on compared to larger armour. There's also a good community of owners. The maintenance/repair manuals are pretty decent from what I can remember.

Check your driving license to make sure you can drive it. If you have a modern license like I do, you may not have C1 which is a pain in the bum.

Anything pre 1960 still wouldn't be a problem to own and drive as you know. Just pick a Ferret thats pre 1960 lots of them about.

Back to clearing rubbish out of the house sorry recycling :-(

With a Ferret (as with Saracen etc) the thing that will go or has already failed and been replaced is the fluid flywheel seal. I've had to replace on both Saracen and Ferret. As to how to check? Actually I'm not sure of a fool-proof way that doesn't involve any extended inspection and testing, (maybe others have some advice here) unless it has failed badly and there is a puddle of whatever was last used to fill it, ideally Morris Liquimatic No1 . If it does fail, actually its not that bad a job fixing it, in simple terms its a case of moving the gearbox forward - lots of tin to remove and nuts bolts, but 2 hard days work. The Saracen is another thing entirely! Also check that the temperature gauge works. Ideally ask somebody who already has a Ferret to go with you when you inspect - that's the benefit of a Forum / group like this.