Torpedo crane + flickr album

just suurfin the internets like usual, stumbled upon this nifty flickr album. not a lot of military vehicles but everything is pretty interesting. The item in question is the 'Hanson Torpedo Truck Crane'. I haven't heard/seen one of these Hanson models before, any one have any insights?

Edited by N.O.S.
(I just put the T in torpedo!) my laptop keyboard is dieing.. i apoligize for missing letters or confusing spaces.

HA! I knew I forgot something... Hanson Torpedo Truck Crane It's not 'Truck type' like the DDS, more industrial looking, purpose built. Honestly I cant tell if it was intended for Air force use or Navy Air, the munitions the museum has chosen look like traditional bombs w/o tail fins. looks postwar also but you never know with these things

found another picture (on deviantArt.com if you can beliee it. haha) SO from KilikRhydin's DeviantArt page ( 1945 Hanson torpedo truck crane), igive you a restored... truck crane thing... this page says last existing (we know that's wrong now lol) built in 1945, and located in Cleveland, Ohio at the USS Cod Museum, which is only about 2 hours north of me, and seeing as I'm already overdue for a visit ;-). 1945_hanson_torpedo_truck_crane_by_kilikrhydin-d5g5c4y.jpg

Does it look small enough to possibly fit in a GATO class submarine as well? It wouldn't make much sense to me to have and air craft carrier piece at a submarine exhibit :nut:. Although stranger things have happened (especially in Cleveland :-D)

I had considered that also. I have yet to be inside a GATO class, I just wasn't sure where the spare torpedo's were stored in relation to the tubes, or what on board system was used to move them from storage to the tubes (I've tried looking at schematics but the writing is too small even for me too read haha) I figured the use of an internal combustion crane truck on a submerged naval vessel was outlandish at best :-P.

Edited by Pavy8