Bren Carriers (T-16) Track tools

Tobin

Does anyone know where I can obtain a track tensioner (the one that slips onto the rod by the front wheel and moves the bogey wheel) and a track clamp(?) (the tool that is used to pull the two halves of a broken track together) from? Thanks in advance - Tobin

you can make one! If you look for a drawing (parts list?) you will see that it consists of a tommy bar and a snail shaped block with a hole in it which goes over the pin. As the block is turned by the tommy bar, the snail shape moves the bracket and tensions the track. I suppose you could calculate the shape by taking measurements but having a picture would be easier and of course a tracing of an original would be even better! Any easily obtainable track puller (eg FV432) from a surplus stall can be modified with an angle grinder to make the teeth fit into the track plates: they do not have a great deal of work to do, only to hold up the weight of the tracks while you push the pin in. If you cant get an FV432 track puller, you could get a screw actuated coil spring compressor from a car dealer and modify that.

All of the foregoing applies only for use of course: no good for display purposes.

Cheers

John

Many thanks. I was hoping to find some origionals only as the rest of the vehicle has all the "right" parts. I have made the "snail" but it is a pig to use (I think it needs to be cast Steel) and I have been using a block of wood and a jack on the tracks which was a trick given to me by a chap who served in 2nd Northants Yeomanry in Normandy and the Rhine crossings. It works well but is a bit nerve wracking as everything creaks until the pressure is let off. Tobin.

• 8 years later...

Tobin, google 'Midwest Military' Go to the Bren gun carrier spares page, John at Midwest has cast steel copies of the original carrier ones, I would say the T16 'snail' would be the same. I use a modified ratchet strap (end hooks ground down to profile a smaller hook) to pull the links together. The original track jacks are best kept for display purposes only.

regards Kevin.

Edited by kevin powles