HELP?????

hardyferret

Does anyone know what size the fan belts are on a 2a/3 lightweight fitted with double belt pulleys and alternator 12volt??

ta Hardyferret :? :-D

Fan belt for GS & FFR: 535688 Belt, V, Endless, 0.5in wide, 40in outside

Belt alternator FFR: 538393 Belt, V, Endless, Matched Pair, 0.5in wide, 52in outside

Belt alternator GS: 587086 Belt, V, Endless, Matched Pair, no measurements given

I may have a 587086 I can measure.

Jerry you asked for Series 2a/3 lightweight & what I gave you was from the IPC for S3 LtWt which gives the fan belt as 535688 for FFR & GS.

But yours is 2a? Looking in the IPC for that the fan belts are 535688 is for FFR but the GS it is 554389. Note the water pump (& not just the pulley) is different for FFR & GS.

When it comes to the alternator belts they are same for GS & FFR:

Belt, V Endless, Matched Set, 40 degrees, 41in long. 554389

I have a pair of NOS 554389 even tied together with the official label for a matched pair :-D

Clive, here's the problem..

It is a Rover 1 GS so would originally had a dynamo. In the interests of having a battery that is actually charged have gone for a Lucas alternator, 16 ACR i think.

This alternator came off a series 3 GS, and has twin belt pulley,as does the water pump and crank pulley. When I got the Rover in had a tastefully fitted alternator of unknown make(Jap??) with the normal misaligned bodge bracket!! And using just one belt!

So what set do you reckon? The 554389 at 41" sound right I think, and are near to what I reckoned :-D

Regards HF :? :? :? only Solihull come have this many choices !! :|

Jerry, I would set the alternator to mid position. then thread some "clothes line rope" around the pulleys & mark off the rope & measure it. Obviously if you measured how long is piece of string it would be too low as the narrow string would dig into the pulley grooves & not sit where a V belt would. See how the rope measurement tallies with the known available sizes or go to a commercial belt co & see what is off the shelf.