Fordson Standard N RAF Tractor

HWade

I have been asked to paint a Ex RAF Fordson Standard N petrol only, does any body have a colour picture of one, I have seen here on a previous thread that some say they were RAF blue grey BS381.633 But as yet I have not seen one, I did see an RAF model some years ago and this was a dark Green, and that did not look right either.Any help would be appreciated as I want to get it right.Regards Howard.

The IWM have got a colour photo of a Fordson N from about 1942-43 here: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207807 The colour is a bit vague; it's not Fordson green but it could be dark green, khaki green or even SCC2 brown. Some people think it closely matches the dark green areas of the Spitfire behind it but I think it's more of a khaki green colour. Search the IWM collections site for RAF tractors and you'll find several photos in black and white which give an idea of the markings which were on the tractors. Start here: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections-research

Edited by Ivor Ramsden
Added info on markings

Just to muddy the waters and to give Howard more sleepless nights...:nut:

I have had a couple of ex-RAF Fordsons. One had always been a grey/blue colour and had the low-speed gearbox.

The other was dull and faded but was and always had been Fordson green (a dark green). This one had an RAF number on the tank, plus a plate and an RAF roundel on the mudguard.

Some however were that early British brown/green drab colour.

Now, mudguards...

Early RAF Fordsons from the pre-war contract had wide mudguards. From around 42/3 they had narrow wings (to save steel apparently) and then later one it transpires had no mudguards at all because by then, most airfields had concrete peri-tracks, dispersal's and runways so mud and muck was not such a problem.

So, as to colour, if yours has no wings it will be a later one so that will probably give you the option of a late war colour scheme (same as other airfield MT kit)

The most interesting thing (for me) is what wheels does it have ?

Just to muddy the waters and to give Howard more sleepless nights...:nut:

I have had a couple of ex-RAF Fordsons. One had always been a grey/blue colour and had the low-speed gearbox.

The other was dull and faded but was and always had been Fordson green (a dark green). This one had an RAF number on the tank, plus a plate and an RAF roundel on the mudguard.

Some however were that early British brown/green drab colour.

Now, mudguards...

Early RAF Fordsons from the pre-war contract had wide mudguards. From around 42/3 they had narrow wings (to save steel apparently) and then later one it transpires had no mudguards at all because by then, most airfields had concrete peri-tracks, dispersal's and runways so mud and muck was not such a problem.

So, as to colour, if yours has no wings it will be a later one so that will probably give you the option of a late war colour scheme (same as other airfield MT kit)

The most interesting thing (for me) is what wheels does it have ?

Hi thanks for all this interesting information, the wheels on one are a disc cast type wheel with ribbs, I will get some pics when iam there next, It looks like if it is a late model then the RAF blue grey would be the option, although I do prefer the drab. Howard