Jeep knocking noise

Just took the Jeep out for a quick blast around the town and noticed a knocking noise that i had not come across before. It happens when i do a sharp turn to the left and comes from the front left wheel. When i got home i jacked the Jeep up, gave it hard lock to the left, spun the wheel and the knocking noise reoccurs once per revolution. My immeadiate thought is that the bearings might have gone and need replacing.

I have not got time right now to get the wheel off and have a look, but might go to the Dallas do tomorrow and pick up what i need.

Would anybody agree that it might be the bearings, or might it be something else. If it is the bearings, how critical is it as i hope to take out the Jeep again shortly and might not have time to sort it out. My immediate thought is that it might not be dangerous, just noisy, but i suppose that there is a chance that the bearings might seize up on me which would be a right pain in the neck.

Any thoughts anybody.

Tim (too)

The symtoms you describe are more likely Constant Velocity joints rather than wheel bearings. Taper Roller bearing failure would certainly knock in a "straight line" position and not only in the steering position.

The "one knock" per rev syndrome on steering, is most likey to be CV problems. Dodgy balls old boy !

Do you have Rzeppa axles or Bendix Tracta joints. ?

As for the "how critical is it" bit, if its making a noise............. it aint right !

Hi Tim, I am sure Karoshi is correct with his diagnosis, I have known these joints last for years knocking away but they can also fail catastrophically and my advice would be to replace the joint before driving the jeep again.

Thanks guys. Well i am now going to Dallas dig out tomorrow and will see if Steve can help me with a new joint. As you say, it may go on for years, or it may stop catastrophically - and that is something that i would like to avoid. I am doing a local road run and could do with out breaking down in a muddy lane. I dont know, these modern vehicles. Wouldnt get this problem on an A Type Dennis subsidy lorry thats for sure.

Tim (too)