'SAS' Windproof Smock Date Range? (Part 2)

I've acquired another 'SAS' windproof smock. The price this time was merely reasonable rather than a bargain, but it's in only lightly used condition compared to the other one.

I'm guessing it was made in the early 1990's going by the presence of a maker name on the label and the colour of the buttons. Can anyone improve on that?

Cheers,

Mark

SAS windproof 2 label R.jpg

SAS windproof 2 interior R.jpg

SAS windproofs comparison R.jpg

SAS windproof 2 back R.jpg

SAS windproof 2 front R.jpg

I,ve got one almost identical,I say almost as mine is the arctic version,with wired hood and rank tabs front and rear,and same maker on label. Mine dates from mid eighties.It also has field dressing pocket on right sleeve which I understand also dates it as 1984 onwards.Thats a nice smock you have there.

Yep, early 90s at a guess, and all the above is correct..........interesting that the label carries the designation "Smock, Combat, Camouflage, Windproof"............late-70s and versions up to the early 80s are generally titled "Smock, Camouflage, Windproof" - no reference to "Combat", this being very much a "90s thing".......

Thanks for the comments. I'm also expecting an arctic windproof through the post some time this week and I'll post some pics when it does.

Forgot to ask: are the two laces on the back of the neck for securing the hood? If so, what is the correct / official way to do it?

Thanks,

Mark

On my arctic smock the hood is rolled back into a tight sausage shape and the two cords are then threaded through the cord loop used to hang the smock up with pulled tight and tied in a knot to keep the hood secure.(hope this makes sense). On some Royal Marine smocks they often fold the hood the opposite way inwards to create a thick collar but secure it the same way.

On my arctic smock the hood is rolled back into a tight sausage shape and the two cords are then threaded through the cord loop used to hang the smock up with pulled tight and tied in a knot to keep the hood secure.(hope this makes sense). On some Royal Marine smocks they often fold the hood the opposite way inwards to create a thick collar but secure it the same way.

Officially, the cord (single cord, 2 ends) at the rear of the hood is NOT to secure the item when stowed, but is intended to draw the rear of the hood to fit closely around the neck/rear of the head when worn up !!!! same as the frontal cord (with "Fixlok" fastener) which is intended to secure the hood tightly around the head/face..........!!! these are from the official specs by the way.......:D

Forgot to ask: are the two laces on the back of the neck for securing the hood? If so, what is the correct / official way to do it?

My (very limited) experience of our special forces chums is that the correct/official way to do it is however they felt like doing it on the day.