Elevated GSA kit

Hi, I have just picked up the EVGSA kit to top off a 5.4m mast, but there are no instructions in the bag so I cant tell if its all there or how to fit it all together, could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Cheers

Shaun

Shaun

I havent got the CES or instructions to hand but I have used the kits. The kit should consist of at least

• Mast head adapter to hold GSA base
  • "Choke" unit that clips over 5.4m mast
  • 3 different length BNC to BNC cables

In operation the GSA elements are fitted to the base as normal, the pin on the base is fitted to the mast head adapter (instead of the spike) and the choke is connected to the GSA base by one of the BNC cables - the longest below about 45 MHz and the shortest above about 60MHz or the medium one in between. The normal feed cable goes from the other end of the choke to the radio. The combination of the choke and the correct length BNC cable is supposed to provide an elevated substitute for real ground (or at least stop the feed cable from being a radiating part of the antenna).

One thing I have found is that the spring clip in the choke doesnt grip the mast very well so it is worth doing something to prevent it sliding down and putting strain on the BNC cable to the mast base - I have had various intermittent contact problems if it does end up being pulled tight. A few turns of tape round the mast to stop the choke sliding down seem to do the trick.

Regards

Iain

Brilliant thanks, that helps massively the only bit I have in the bag not mentioned is a length of green string on a winder, is that part of the kit?

Cheers

Shaun

Shot in the dark.

Might this cable have have a metallic core? Is it marked in one-foot steps that can be felt in the dark, like knots? If so it might be dipole cable, allowing you to erect a dipole (in any of a number of ways) in a static location to significantly increase HF range.

I think the 40m green string is to allow the GSA to be suspended from a suitable elevated point like a tree if the 5.4m mast is not available or inappropriate to the circumstances. From EMER L212 section 8 "The antenna ground spike may be elevated in 2 ways: a. by use of a 5.4m mast (not part of kit) or b. ny use of a 40m cord". The cord has rings at one end which fit above and below the GSA base unit so it is held vertical (although I think it would be best making a loop to secure the top of the antenna element as well. There are supposed to be strain relief cords either end of the cable between the base and the inductor/choke unit to provide strain relief for the BNC cable between the base and the inductor.

I did capture the CES from the EMER so you can check that you have everything.

ekgsa-ces.jpg

use-of-ekgsa-cord.jpg