M37 and M101A1 Upgrades and Resto

paul_bish

I posted my new truck last year and I have been busy since then planning this years "upgrades", compared to most of the work around here I'm not sure I would call this restoration... I am limited by the fact the truck is stored in lewes and I live in London, and I dont have any under cover work space. So a bit weather constrained :D I have also just added an M35A1 "Reo" as well that needs a repaint, new canvas (again scored on this forum) etc.

When I purchased the truck it was configured as a USMC truck so I am turning it into a US Army truck to match our Living History group. I also purchased an M101A1 trailer (via this forum) so wanted to add the missing tow hitch.

So the tow hitch; This was found on the M37 forum and donated to the team if we covered postage, the issue being the main thread was destroyed! But was soem advice from the HMVF forum we purchased a die and rethreaded the main shaft. Some paint and its just waiting to be installed.

tow_hitch_8_low.jpg

tow_hitch_6_low.jpg

tow_hitch_5_low.jpg

Rear Shackles & mounts: When the M37 was purchased it was configured as a USMC vehicle with the rear shackle mounts specific to this branch. The issue here is they foul the trailer cable plug and also put the shackle mounts to far out to tow a trailer. So some new mounts (1961 dated) were secured, painted and are waiting to be mounted.

shackles_2_low.jpg

shackles_3_low.jpg

M101A1 Trailer: My new trailer, see below, needs a good refurb and is missing all the frame and side bows. These were secured in the US and a huge pile of boxes like a big Lego kit arrived. These are now being prepped for painting. It also needs a wiring loom so found some NOS items in the US.

hood_bows_5__low.jpg

hood_bows_1_low.jpg

trailer_cable_2_low.jpg

Right Hand Mirror: The M37 didnt come with a right hand mirror and with being left hand drive this proves a problem driving, aside from not being very safe. The Canadian issue M37s came with a right hand mirror.We have modded this so we can mount for travel and remove at shows.

mirror_M37_low.jpg

Edited by paul_bish