Scammell Pioneer TRMU30 tank transporter - Ex Showmans? Help needed!

madrat

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone might have some information on a Scammell Pioneer TRMU30 I have just bought, it is chassis number 5177 and registration mark KYW922, I have found some further information that this vehicle is from contract S1887 from 15th December 1942, this contract was for a quantity of 178 vehicles. I have attached an image showing the contracts. It has a 1944 date stamped into the rear axle and being a later chassis number in this contract I reckon the dates would match up. If the old military "H" numbers are allocated correctly it should be military registration H5306721 before becoming KYW922 after the war.

I believe that it came through Graham Booth, and prior to that was in a barn for 30 years being owned by a chap who was restoring when sadly passed away. The previous owner suspects it might have been an ex-showmans vehicle.

I will be contacting the RLC museum in due course, however any information would be gratefully received. I'd love to know a bit more about how these tank transporters were used after the war, or any other information or stories.

Kind Regards,

Duncan

$T2eC16F,!yME9s5qE+8bBQ5wMtkWZw~~60_12.JPG

Hi Rick,

Its a shame more of the trailers didn't survive, is the one in Yorkshire complete with a trailer? I need to have a look at an original one at some point and take some photo's measurements!

Cheers,

Duncan

Think this is her mate , I think the gent has two tractor units WFX 402 - 1944 Scammell Pioneer Tank Transporter - Part of the John Myers Collection :D

Yip, that's the one I'd love a look at, that or the ballast tractor which as you say I think is in the same ownership? I though someone mentioned WFX402 had gone overseas though? Anyone know the chap?