WW2 british greatcoats.

paul connor

Oh right, I was hoping they were the same. Thanks for the reply. Can anyone elaborate on the differences?

Not entirely sure Paul, but there are seemingly two patterns of WW2-era issue Army (Dismounted) greatcoats........announced in "The Times" on 21st April 39, the '39 pattern (no expanding "vent" at the rear) and the '41 pattern that has the vent (seemingly to permit the coat to be worn over the webbing as well !), adjustable belt at the back, slightly shorter in the body by 2 inches, reduced collar width by 3/4 inch, "jigger" (securing) button added to the lower front to hold the skirt together, improved fit at the waist to permit greater movement and an improved (warmer) lining (usually a heavy white-colour wool fabric)..........

Variants include those for mounted troops (far shorter in the body), and US War Aid & Commonwealth manufactured items.......

The next change appears to have occurred with the 1951 pattern........basically appears the same as the 40/41 pattern but has an additional pair of buttonholes (so that when fastened right up, you have a matching "set" of 5 pairs of buttons up the front)....the wartime versions appear to have had 3 pairs of buttons only from waist to chest, then a gap, then another pair at the top to close the coat.........the lining also appears to have changed again to khaki KF shirting flannel......

Edited by wdbikemad

hi Paul, when i was last down at sabre sales there was hundreds of them, but the i brought was dated 1945 and had a lining, i was told this was an officers one, i don`t know wether this is true.

regards :D

I have seen these at Sabre......the stock of O/Rs coats are all post-war '51 pattern or European, the others officers types (some of which were privately-purchased and others made up in WD fabric to the officers pattern for sale at a fixed price)......from memory, many officers coats have a wider "lancer" style front, are longer, have deep turn-back cuffs, are made in a much better quality melton fabric and linings in either cotton, satin or rayon.......WD-made examples will usually have a stamp somewhere, and privately manufactured types a tailors or suppliers label........