Ferret Brake Bands / Gearbox

tomjones50

Hi

This is probably a common question, but I am planning to put my Ferret back together this year, the only mechanical issue that existed was with the gearbox, I think the issue was with the brake bands, as it did not like changing gears and if moved back and forth the gearbox got hot and did not want to move.

Does anyone know how straightforward the bands are to fix or if it is more realistic to source a replacement box?

Many thanks

Tom

Hi

This is probably a common question, but I am planning to put my Ferret back together this year, the only mechanical issue that existed was with the gearbox, I think the issue was with the brake bands, as it did not like changing gears and if moved back and forth the gearbox got hot and did not want to move.

Does anyone know how straightforward the bands are to fix or if it is more realistic to source a replacement box?

Many thanks

Tom

A reconditioned box could cost you £1000 if you can find one, replacing the bands is the way to go. Have you checked the condition of the bands and tried resetting them via the method in the manual? Can you see the threads on the adjustment screws of the brake bands?

If the gearbox has overheated you might have to change the fluid fly=wheel seal. I have a gearbox that has overheated in the back of my car its not a pretty site, the heat transfer can be seen on the drums (one doesn't want to come apart)!

Plenty of pictures here of the gearbox.

Hi

Many thanks

Tom

I agree with Andy - take the box out and partially strip it , you will be able to remove the brake bands and see how badly worn they are . There is a thread on here somewhere with pics .

• 2 years later...
A reconditioned box could cost you £1000 if you can find one, replacing the bands is the way to go. Have you checked the condition of the bands and tried resetting them via the method in the manual? Can you see the threads on the adjustment screws of the brake bands?

If the gearbox has overheated you might have to change the fluid fly=wheel seal. I have a gearbox that has overheated in the back of my car its not a pretty site, the heat transfer can be seen on the drums (one doesn't want to come apart)!

Plenty of pictures here of the gearbox.

I have to admire your skills on the gearbox . I can and have done a great deal on rebuilds and teach the subject so to say well done is rare and I would only do if I was very desperate

best regards

Laurence

FOX CVRW

2x mk2/3 ferrets

2x Austin champs

ac cobra