BBC Antiques Roadshow Chatham

Tony B

Yesterday the BBC filmed an episode of the Antique Roadshow at the Chatham Dockyard. For those in 'Other' places, the Antiques Roadshow is a Britsh Sunday Tradition! Now into the thirty fourth series. Members of the public bring all sorts of stuff to be viewed and valued by experts. Due to H&S considerations, you don't want vehicles moving about when the Great Unwashed are about, I took Katy down on Wednesday, so had a chance to see the behind the scenes work done.

I was thorougly impressed, the work that goes into the show is detailed and technically mind boggoling. If you wonder what your Licence Fee pays for, believe me it is well spent! The militaria expert was Graham Lay, a thouroughly nice bloke, his knowledge of the subject is amazing. I was watching him deal with the public who turned up with everything from Assagis to wall hangers, medals and vehicles. Don't try pulling one on him, he has had Dingo's in the past and currently owns a Jeep, so knows his buissness. He has also worked in Jersey so recognised Katy straight away, his first remark was 'What's she doing over here?'.

The show is remarkably popular, people were quing from about 06:15 till 16:00, the last count was three thousand two hundred. The final pice of filming was Graham and I at 18:45. Katy was sighted along side HMS Gannet with the sun setting over the Medway lighting her green against the white hull, the shots the camera crew were getting had me in tears, WHY the H** can't I get pictures like that!!!!

One pice brought in was a propeller from the first Zeppilin brought down over London. I won't tell you the valuation but :shocked::sweat:The owner said to me 'It won't be back in the shed tonight!'.

Another man had a set of wood and lead small scale waterline models of various warships. He had to move the plastic box before they were afloat with my drool. I also found out what oil to use on your steam train.

The series is due for transmission next Autumn.

Fiona Bruce also earns her keep. Forty five minutes up HMS Gannet's foremast for about thirty seconds on TV.

ar5.JPG

ar 1.JPG

ar2.JPG

ar3.JPG