1934 AEC 8x8

awg

Hi,

I am a new lister and own a '44 CCKW.

I just read about an amazing vehicle in " Restored Cars" Jan 2007, published in Australia.

It is an 8x8, delivered new to Australia in 1934, built by AEC under instruction by the British Army, its purpose was to act as a "road train" in outback Australia.

Apparently 3 were made, this is the only one delivered to Aus and known to exist.

What amazed me where the specs and capabilities of this vehicle.

130hp diesel engine, 3 speed +2 speed aux, rear winch, 4 difs, fully independent suspension, steering on front and rear bogies (which rotate on chain driven turntables)

12.00x20 tyres.

This truck covered over 1,200,000 miles in the 12 years that it was known as the "government road train", before being sold to private operators, then rescued as scrap in the late 70's, it is now restored in the Truck mueseum in ALice Springs, central Aus.

The country that this truck worked in was, and is extremely rugged desert dunes and rocky, with extreme temperatures, completely roadless at that time.

Even very well prepared modern 4 wheel drive vehicles usually dont go out alone,

as the risk of getting stuck or breaking down is too high.

The AEC pulled 2 Dyson 8 wheel self-tracking trailers and 2 more 4 wheel trailers.

Nominal load capacity was 15 tons, but it rgularly dragged up to 45 tons.

I have an interest in the development of early off-road vehicles, I did not know something so advanced was in existence at that time.

regards tony

It is an 8x8, delivered new to Australia in 1934, built by AEC under instruction by the British Army, its purpose was to act as a "road train" in outback Australia.

it is now restored in the Truck mueseum in Alice Springs, central Aus.

Tony,

Here is a photo of the AEC from the rear, the radiator is at the back of the cab. I took this while at the museum for their 5th anniversary. We drove for 12 days up through the bush from Adelaide to get there, in various military and civvy vehicles, mine was a Willys jeep.

Have another shot of it from the front somewhere.

Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]