1959 RAF Rover Mk6 - Lancashire

Bottom Box

I've joined the forum in an attempt to complete the vehicle history, and try to obtain exact military markings for a full restoration.

I purchased the Rover Mk6 as a 1960. It is complete, and largely original, though it does have some previous owner fittings which will be easily removed (twin amber roof beacons, headlights in the wings as well as the grille). Although the Land Rover is a 1960 model year (Sept 59 - Aug 60), chassis number 141001484, I have obtained the Gaydon build date as 21.12.1959, so it is liable to become MOT exempt from 18th November 2012.

I have managed to locate the RAF plate, as 69AA05, but the RAF524 (Vehicle History Card) is missing at the RAF Museum. The remaining RAF 524 cards indicate that the vehicle was probably "received" by the RAF on 22.01.60.

The vehicle was struck off from Air Support Command 26.04.68, but was finally registered with the DVLA on 09.05.69. I am advised that it is highly likely that the vehicle would have been sold via MODDS Ruddington. However, I now have an 11 month gap between military "strike off" and DVLA registration. I would like to locate its Sale Date, and obtain a scanned copy of the relevant pages of the Ruddington Catalogue. Better still, if someone has a spare copy, I could perhaps purchase an original sales catalogue, although I suspect that there may be more collectors than remaining catalogues.

Anyway, I'll try and search relevant threads, and then post looking for the sales catalogue information.

69 AA 05 was Lot No.496 sold at OSDD Ruddington Vehicle Park No.3 on the first day of a 4-day sale on Tuesday 1st October 1968

I'll scan you a page when I've got more time just spent 20 minutes looking for that. :-D

69 AA 05 was Lot No.496 sold at OSDD Ruddington Vehicle Park No.3 on the first day of a 4-day sale on Tuesday 1st October 1968

I'll scan you a page when I've got more time just spent 20 minutes looking for that. :-D

:wow:

Clive,

I appreciate you taking the time to track my vehicle down. Thanks for the information. I look forward to seeing the scanned page.

Bottom Box

Thanks for posting the images.

It's another piece in the jigsaw, and I now know exactly which catalogue I need to locate.

If I owe you anything for your time, I'm happy to contribute towards the next purchase for your collection, or towards a preferred charity.

Thanks for posting the images.

It's another piece in the jigsaw, and I now know exactly which catalogue I need to locate.

If I owe you anything for your time, I'm happy to contribute towards the next purchase for your collection, or towards a preferred charity.

That's no problem. A thank you says it all & is perfectly adequate, we all try & help each other on here when we can.

I have been watching your thread on S2C forum, have a IIA myself :D

Well, thank you.

As soon as I've fully explored this site, I'll be placing a 'wanted ad' for a spare copy of the 97th Ruddington catalogue.

It's nice to have the information, even better to have a scanned copy, but an original document has to be the 'icing on the cake'.

but an original document has to be the 'icing on the cake'.

Yes you can touch it & sniff it to get the full experience.:cool2:

I used to have spare in some cases quadruplicates, they are long since gone.

But I do have just one duplicate left but I can't find it so don't start getting excited yet. :-D