British ( and American, and Canadian, with a touch of German ) Dodge

Gordon_M

I think I've mentioned the WK-60 series workshop trucks here before. A total of 741 ( I think ) cabover Detroit 3 ton chassis made in 1940 and fitted with Welles-Thornton ( Canadian ? ) back bogies, giving a 6 x 4 configuration. Standard workshop body was fitted by the British, though other people liked them as well;

wk60.jpg

wk602.jpg

A manual , DX 6557 ( Detroit, eXport, 6557 ) recently came up on E-Pay, and after checking that the owner of the only three surviving trucks I knew had a copy already, I picked it up. Looking through it I turned up one good image of the raw chassis;

wk60d.jpg

You can see the cabover support frame, right hand drive steering, transmission driven winch ( the manual details an overload ignition cutout that will stall the engine if you overload the pull ) and the two winch pulleys on the rear crossmember. Note that the position of the left hand rear pulley allows you to run the winch cable forward to a winch fairlead set on the front left bumper corner so you can winch to the front as well.

There is no specific month/day/year on it, or chassis number range, just 1940, but I thought this would have to be the first Dodge truck series that I have ever seen a factory cabover manual for ?

The rest of it isn't that interesting, being a typical sketchy 1940 Dodge Truck thing, but like most of the export manuals it has the quantities in UK units - Imperial rather than US gallons and so on, plus it does have a procedure for Cab Over cab removal & replacement.

• 2 years later...

Hello Gordon,

I am building a model of this truck in 1:35 scale.

I am looking for pictures of the gearbox and winch drive.

are there any in the manual you speak of?

If so could you post them here?

Hope to hear from you.

this is what I have got now.

PICT0012_zpsolmmu4c5.jpg

All the best

Leon

Hello Leon

I think the reason I posted that first image was that it was the only good one in the manual.

The 1940 Dodge manuals, unlike the later ones, were really poor.