Bedford MW Battery and radiator muff.

matchlesswdg3

Yes, it is the recent eBay one - an "MWR" (although that may just be a cosmetic designation as its missing some MWR hardware - it could get away with being a personnel version MWD I guess, as it has windows in the tilt) - very nice seller with long experience in MV resto's and it is immaculate - but now too awkward for him and his wife for driving and shows; just needs some running to see what needs more work - not too much, I hope! Thanks re the battery advice - that makes sense - the current one seems to be struggling to supply enough oomph though engine does start v easily and a Range Rover electric petrol pump is fitted for priming, which helps. I have not yet taken any photos, but will and post them. My only struggle so far has been in trying to select first gear! I guess I will get the knack. I also forgot to post the second part of my query - it has new tilt and side screens, but no radiator muff. Can you buy these from the usual canvas people - and how are they fitted? Cheers! Ferg

. My only struggle so far has been in trying to select first gear! I guess I will get the knack. I also forgot to post the second part of my query - it has new tilt and side screens, but no radiator muff. Can you buy these from the usual canvas people - and how are they fitted? Cheers! Ferg

You should not have any trouble selecting first gear, try selecting second gear first and then push through into first. Actually when driving these trucks in the 40s and 50s we always pulled away in second gear (on the flat) when empty, the engine is way over the job. I suppose that it could be clutch drag, if thats the case, until thats rectified select first or second gear before starting the engine (with the clutch down of course.)

MWR stamped in the chassis? Whereabouts? Must have a look. It does not have a genny mounting in the offside footstep and although I have not looked, previous owner said it did not have a PTO. Does not have arials of course, but the back has been stripped out and made into living space - neatly done and very practical. Regards your tip on first gear - yes, that's what PO also said! Thanks for feedback! Ferg

Yes (picture) - thats the one! I just got the V5 back and it does have an MWR chassis. I had a close look at a nice MWR at War and Peace and clearly, mine has a fair bit of missing hardware - which I will NOT be bothering finding! At least for the present...........[CONFESSION: I bought a Lightweight L/R several years ago, "just to haul my bike trailer"........then a bloke sidled up to me "Psst, you wanna buy some Nato paint?" I only bought a half litre and did not inhale (much), but I was hooked. By the year's end I was on Clansman radios and split tailgates. After a few years on this soft stuff, I was approached by a Geezer asking if I would like to try something a bit more interesting.....a Dodge or a Bedford, maybe. I told him, no, but he gave me this piece of old tilt to sniff and that was it, I was in it up to my miserable neck. I tried to stop a couple of times, but so called mates would slip me a copy of "Classic Military Vehicles" and I was back "at it" again. I lost my missus and kids - I think they are somewhere at the back of the garage, behind a collapsed pile of bar grip tyres. The only people I know are Green F:nut:iends.................]