The Prince of Monacco's car collection up for auction

Great War truck

• 1 month later...
Lots 19 to 22 will be of interest. I wonder what he will be left with - a Jeep perhaps?

Went to see the lots today. The three Dodges and the GMC look like nicely restored vehicles. Can't say anything about their mechanical condition, although it seems they were not used since being restored.

Not sure about the guide prices, as I think the outcome will depend heavily on how much of a premium buyers will want to pay for an ex-Prince Rainier III vehicle.

And yes, a Ford GPW will remain in the collection.

The GMC CCKW 353 was probably an early closed cab one with a replacement open cab. Seems expensive with 13.500€ even if it was restored.

Now every one with a GMC CCKW 353/352 for sale will want 13.500€/PLUS for theirs, regardless if they're complete and/or restored.....

Goran N

Goran, You could very well be right; it looks like a "plain Jane" 353 to me.

Bodywork is nice, but not perfect. Mechanicals, who knows? Vehicles don't like standing still.

Like I said earlier, it is clear people are willing to pay a premium for a vehicle which was owned by someone "famous". Auctioning vehicles in a town which hosts extremely wheathly people - never seen so many super cars in one place - helps to prop up the prices as well. In this case probably 100% on top of the fair market value.

There were a few regular HMV collectors present, but they were not impressed by "rare", "6 driven wheels!", or other (non)qualifications given by the auctioneer, and bid up untill roughly half the hammer price.

For me it was fun to visit the auction as I was on holidays close to it.

From your raving reporter "sur place" :D

Edited by mcspool

From the auctioneers website, the final prices including fees and taxes....

19:1942 Dodge 4x4 Command Car

Estimation: 20000 - 30000 €

Sold for 56,302 €

20: 1942 Dodge WC 62 6x6 plâteau bâché

Estimation: 15000 - 25000

Sold for 25,023 €

21: 1943 GMC CCKW 3A1 6x6 plateau bâché

Estimation: 10000 - 20000 €

Sold for 16,891 €

22: 1942 Dodge WC 51 4x4 plateau bâché

Estimation: 10000 - 20000

Sold for 22,521 €