Rat pack page on web site updated

Panzer nut

These are vehicle ration boxes, often used in AFVs. The type shown in the photo would be for a vehicle like a Daimler Dingo- two men 1 day. My Daimler Armoured Car has three of the larger No2, 3 men 1 day type, two in a bin at the back of the turret, and one inside the hull. I also have a wartime 5 men 1 day version as issued to tank crews.

There were specific menus for the WW2 AFV rations, though of course the contents were similar to the standard compo rations. Originally the AFV rations were issued in a fibreboard case but this proved to be not very durable.

Not sure when these tins were introduced, I think the earliest I have had was 1942 dated but I'm sure they may have predated that.

They continued in production post war and were in use until well after WW2. A lot of these turn up with 1952-53 dates for some reason and are often in unissued condition. The leather strap on the later examples is sometimes of undyed or white coloured leather. Wartime dated examples are more difficult to find but do seem to pop-up on ebay from time to time.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by 43rdrecce