Hello from across the pond

hfdzl

Hello all, Very interesting site, have always been intrigued by military vehicles. I am restoring a 1947 Autocar C70D, civilian truck.

Autocar did make military units and I enjoy doing research here in a parallel direction.

C70  home 003.jpg

Keep up the good work of preserving our history!

Thanks-Herb

Welcome to the madhouse, Herb. Tuesday evening is U.S. Night in the Omaha section of the clubhouse WW2 Bar (not many newcomers realise the bar is shaped just like the Normandy coastline, they just think the carpenter was on a bender when he built it :cool2:), but your Autocar won't be out of place - if Jack asks awkward questions about the date of it bluff it out, tell him it was a military prototype or something.

I do like the look of the immediate post war Autocars - low riding and purposeful, unlike some designs. In fact I think this same design appeared in sales adverts towards the end of the war? I guess the D stands for diesel? What make of engine were they fitting at this time?

Edited by N.O.S.
OK so who can't spell OMAHA?

Thanks for the warm welcome- a bit more cheery some of the other boards I have signed on!

C70D is their designation for dump truck. T would be for road tractor. Autocar had many suffix letters I have yet to find anyone that can decipher all. I have looked at some pics of military trucks here and it seems the the EUC model

( engine under cab) use the same conventional cab as on the regular truck chassis.

Autocar had 3 of their own engines, L head 358, 447 and 501 cid. and also put in Cummins HRB. Later '50s had White motors and Hercules.

My major concern with my truck is the engine is seized, for now I have it freed up a little, it will come apart later, OK.

The other part of the story is finding conrod and main bearings. There aren't many 501 cid gas engines around. The parts supply is very weak. The Hercules RXC engine is almost identical. This just makes the victory all the more sweet when done!

Edited by hfdzl

If you look at the Autocar U-7144T the early versions had a closed cab and yes the cab looks to be the same unit as that fitted to a conventional civilian truck. The same went for Ward laFrance and Diamond T trucks and others - only later in the war did material shortages and the requirement for low profile cause them to give way to a bit of canvas!

I love the art-deco civilian gauges fitted to early wartime trucks, again these later mainly gave way to standardised utility components.