I found the part for my Military Vehicle in a Massey Ferguson tractor

Catch 22 LBDR

Not sure this is the right place for this thread, but hear it goes.

A lot , if not most of the mechanical parts in our much loved military vehicles are standard of that time. So if you need a bearing for the front axle of your 1942 Morris commercial, or an oil seal for a bevel box on a ferret, where did you find it? was it the same part as the oil seal in Massey Ferguson tractor?

My point is if you found a hard to get part in an unexpected place, please post it on hear and keep our green machines rolling!

You make a good point that is missed by many people who own vintage/historic vehicles be they green or glossy.

There are a few special applications that were manufactured for specific vehicles, but as a general rule for bearings and oil seals in particular manufactures went to their standard supplier catalogues and ordered the off the self part that matched the load and shaft size specified by the design team.

Don't go into your local bearing supplier and ask for a wheel bearing for a jeep, Austin K2, Dodge ect all you'll get at best is 'don't stock those mate, what did you say it was for?'

The key is to take the part number off the seal or bearing (both the cup and race they can be different as in the case of K2 front wheel bearings if I remember rightly) or if there is no part number measure the bearing or oil seal inside outside diameter and depth or take it with you if all else fails. You will be amazed what is still over the counter, after all, there are only a limited number of shaft sizes etc for particular load applications.

You may well find your 1940 truck has the same size oil seal as a modern fork lift, one particular case I remember was a set of wheel bearings that had been nill stock for 30 years for the particular vehicle only to turn up as a modern application on a industrial conveyor belt system.

Pete

I agree with Pete. I have found that the wheel bearings for a WOT2 are still available at any Motor Factors, provided you know the Timkin part number, which is listed in the parts book as part of the Army part number or is stamped on the original bearings. I have also found that the Fram C30 oil filter element used on British wartime vehicles is still made by Mann filters as PF1025 and it fits.