Todays Purchases

MHillyard

Got lots of great stuff at the Carboot today, just thought i'd share a few

Got an almost new Alice backpack with frame £5

1980s boots, old dpm shirt and trousers, Alice desert belt, blister/waterproof socks £5

Sniper smock £5

Special air and sea sercvices smock £5

Mendl boots and Magnum boots £6

Brand new para smock £7

Altberg boots £5

and plenty of other stuff

Info would be appreciated on some of the kit, especially for the special air and sea smock

DSC05246.jpg

DSC05247.jpg

DSC05252.jpg

DSC05251.jpg

2, WW2 Brit Turtle helmet shells (MK3)

Has anyone ever seen the post-war MK4 turtle shells without the rim...? I've seen several over the years....I wonder if these were an official issue rather than a lid where the rim has dropped off...??

Has anyone ever seen the post-war MK4 turtle shells without the rim...? I've seen several over the years....I wonder if these were an official issue rather than a lid where the rim has dropped off...??

I have about 20 post war MK 4's but never seen one without rim.

Don't think it was done on purpose, after all they stopped making rimless Brodies during WW1.

I've certainly encountered several MK4s without the rim....and they looked fairly unworn too from memory.....

When did they stop making 'em? My NOS issue one during the early 80s was dated '58 with a '81 dated liner assembly (the MK5 "Liner, itchy" - the red-fibre & foam assembly with the knitted khaki nylon head cradle).........

Once the fibre GSMK6 helmet appeared on issue, NOS stocks of the steel MK3, 4 and 5 lids appeared en-masse on the surplus market.......so they must have had tons of the things sitting in a hangar somewhere......40s and 50s production.....? I seem to recall seeing a load of 45 dated MK4s (complete) piled in a skip half filled with water....:-(

And just to recap....

The MK3 is the 44-issue "D-Day" turtle helmet with the screw-affixed liner and high-mounted chinstrap posts....

The MK4 from 45 onwards has a similar liner but affixed by a press-fastener & post.....plus lowered chinstrap mounts....

And the MK5 was basically a MK4 with the "improved" (itchy) liner.....introduced during the 60s and served on until replaced by the modern fibre MK6 in the late 1980s..........

Edited by wdbikemad

Hmmmm....possibly the chap at the airport telling you your papers weren't in order or the knock-on-your -hotel-door-at-11pm branch....and not room service either....!!! :D

I must state in my defence, that I rather like the East German VOPO helmets.....date back to 44 apparently......