Super Rare RM SBS SAS Ventile Canoeist Windproof Smock

Scotch Harry

staring bid of 500 quid! buy it now for 800!!!!!!!!! ..:wow:

..now I can appreciate its very rare and all that sorta stuff but....

.in all honesty...it's a tatty old rain coat......

for that kinda money I would want a brand new canoe to go with it , a paddle made of something a lot more valuable than wood , a nice smart galvanised steel trailer to tow the lot around on plus a great big bucket of enthusiasm for messing about in cold rivers .......:D:D:D:D.......

This garment was discussed on the Forum a while ago now........labelled as "Smocks, Showerproof", made by BMC and dated late 1960s........BMC made Denisons, 63 pattern windproofs, etc, so I don't doubt this items authenticity.........also appears to have a Navy vocabulary (stores) number below the designation............plus the neck and collar fastening is very "naval" as found on other weather protective RN clothing.......

Rare indeed, but £5 - 800...? Mind you, people are paying £134 for a decent early DPM para smock and similar for green 60 pattern stuff, so perhaps not too excessive...out of my league though, with a wedding and family taking up most of my collecting budget nowadays....:embarrassed:

I wonder if these garments survived long enough (1970) to see a version made in DPM....? Does anyone have any Royal Navy stores lists from around this period to look through......??? Might provide further clues regarding this garment, such as date of introduction, etc.....:-D

Edited by wdbikemad

I have to admit I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price as well....but as Steve says 'rare' gear is fetching silly money these days. Even the Cadet smocks, when in NOS condition and size 4 or 5 will fetch in excess of £100. I remember one of these selling some time ago, and it was used, in a size 5 for £170+.

Any subsequent rant on 'who has that sort of money to burn' would only really be driven by jealousy..:-D

Also seems a bit optimistic on the prices of his Cadet smocks maybe??

Hello,

I'm the seller of these items and yes indeed, I was optimistic, but I've seen 3 recently go for £170, £150 and £120 respectively. They didn't sell even at £80 so maybe the bubble has burst!

The showerproof smock is very interesting as it truly is a one off and I thought I'd put on a sky high price and see what happens. After all, if this is an item you really wanted, you'd be happy to pay. I for instance would pay a small fortune for a new Berghaus Cyclops Roc in size 3 green. Oh how I wish I'd bought one years ago!

I also thought it should go somewhere other than my wardrobe and as an interested collector it's nice to get photos of a rare item out and about. I know from researching the smock myself that very little is known about it.

Anyway, here's a photo I took at the IWM of the only other one I've seen.

DSCN0257.jpg

• 11 months later...

hi

i have just joined , and saw this thread about the sbs rare canoeist smock ,i see this an old thread , but thought i would leave a comment , as i m looking for one of these smocks and would pay good money for one if anyone has one for sale , please comment if one is about cheers matt

• 8 years later...
On 3/13/2013 at 6:20 PM, thebuckster said:

hi

i have just joined , and saw this thread about the sbs rare canoeist smock ,i see this an old thread , but thought i would leave a comment , as i m looking for one of these smocks and would pay good money for one if anyone has one for sale , please comment if one is about cheers matt