Souvenirs of War

There was a story did the rounds after the Falklands (quite possibly apocryphal) about a guards battalion liberating a rather nice black Merc from the Argies and managing to get it back to their barracks in the smoke.

Day after return, CO says to his driver, "Corporal Snooks, take the Merc round to the dealership in Park Lane and get it serviced. I'll charge it to the Commanding Officer's Public Fund."

Driver heads off to Park Lane, drops it off and agrees to collect it a 1600 hours (or 4 pm as the Reception Manager called it). At 1600 hours, Cpl Snooks fronts up at Service Reception and asks about the CO's Merc.

"Sorry, which Merc?"

"The black staff car."

"No, I need a little more."

"The CO's staff car. I brought it in this morning."

"Oh that one. You mean the one that according to the chassis number the Argentine Army never paid for, so in fact it still belongs to Mercedes and you've brought it back for us? Thank you very much."

"Damn."

When I came home from Iraq in 2005, I was able to bring back several AK bayonets, and a few other odds and ends, but had to leave my souvenir pistol.

I do have my Grandpa's P-38 pistil he brought home in 1945 though. It shoots great, and he gave it to me before he passed in 2003.