FH70 Radios

boomboom

Hi Guys

Question

Can any one tell me what make/Type/modal radios where used on the FH70 Howitzers in the field of combat.

I have looked at a load of photos but am still no further forward on this ..........OR.....OR........Has any one got a set that would fit on the Gun ???

boomboom

• 9 months later...
Hi Guys

Question

Can any one tell me what make/Type/modal radios where used on the FH70 Howitzers in the field of combat.

I have looked at a load of photos but am still no further forward on this ..........OR.....OR........Has any one got a set that would fit on the Gun ???

boomboom

I don't think there was ever any radio fitted to FH70.

The nearest would have been whatever was in the AWDATS cradle (on the ground), or the GDU cradle (on the ground) when BATES entered service in FH70 btys (if it ever did). My guess would be B48 them PRC 351.

Hi Guys

Question

boomboom

Having worked on FH70 for 4-5 years prior to re role with AS90 we only used small chest mounted radios, I forget what model but we never had anything bigger, certainly not 351. The gun tractors and limbers (Foden 6x6) were never fitted out either.

BATES was coming into service and was initially used on it's issued frame, however like most things we came up with our own ideas and REME began to knock frames up that were attached to the trail arms; one practice was that we would 'liberate' large RAF cargo nets and when travelling coming out of action all the crew kit webbing prisim ammo shelter etc was carefully placed in the net which was slung between the trail arms. We also used to hang large boxes (Haycon) on the trails where we kept all the cooking kit rations etc. We also made use of the space around the trunnions to secure the cam net with kit being stored down around the saddle as well.

These practices/kit were quite common within FH 70 Regiments, I served on FH 70 both in 47 Field and 3 RHA.

On the introduction of AS 90 all our vehicle fleet, guns etc either were sent to reserve stock or to TA Regiments who may have had their own modifications/equipment.

I may have some photos somewhere.............................

Edited by hoppy

Have done a bit of work on Google; the radios in use on the gun line were PRC 349's. Each number 1 (Sgt/Bombadier) was issued one as first line comms. Second line was the good old tannoy system basic speaker and telephone line. One of the first jobs to do was run out the line from the gun position to the command post.

Christmas tree is blocking the cupboard where all the old photos are kept so I will have to wait to get at them and see what there is.

FH70 entered service a few years before Clansman. AWDATS connected to FACE, but thinking about it, towed guns only used line with it. However, the BATES GDU for towed guns included both radio and line. Definitely not 349 because all BATES comms were encrypted and 351 was the smallest that could handle the SANIE. Of course its possible that BATES never reached FH70 btys.

FH70 entered service a few years before Clansman. AWDATS connected to FACE, but thinking about it, towed guns only used line with it. However, the BATES GDU for towed guns included both radio and line. Definitely not 349 because all BATES comms were encrypted and 351 was the smallest that could handle the SANIE. Of course its possible that BATES never reached FH70 btys.

Watcher has just jogged my memory, during my time on FH 70 in both regiments AWDATS was the only system that we used and line was the primary mode of communications; 349's were used on the gun position to pass data from survey to gun when coming into action and as a back up for line; they were also used for guns sentires.

I never worked on a towed gun with BATES so can not quote what equipment was used, all I can say is that we never used anyhting other than the 349 on the gun positions, some Gun Line Section Commanders may have had a 351 in manpack role but as they were on foot working between the gun postions the 349 was used in preference.

As far as I know the only encrypted Clansman radios were RT-353 with DMU and BID-250 which (apart from the BID itself) is fairly well documented in the public domain now and the RT-351M of which very little has emerged. I would be interested in any surviving photos of the BATES radios to understand more about what else was around at the time.

As far as I know the only encrypted Clansman radios were RT-353 with DMU and BID-250 which (apart from the BID itself) is fairly well documented in the public domain now and the RT-351M of which very little has emerged. I would be interested in any surviving photos of the BATES radios to understand more about what else was around at the time.

BATES used BID 250 where it was standard for the net. However, for manpack it had its own BID, which was integral to its Net Interface Equipment (two types 1 for VRC and 1 for PRC) encryption all in software (the first by CESG). The entire BATES data network was encrypted from FOs and guns to corps HQ, including 351 (or 2) connected to the GDU to the GDU, also used the the FO's DED and 352 and with PRC 321.