1942 Tax disk

Chappers

Heres a 1942 Tax disk I've edited feel free to download and print its not a bad replica.Looks good on the old vehicles although not military.

http://www.schap.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/New%20Folder/tax%20disk%201942.pdf

You could try Douglas Bader's documented stunt as recorded in Reach For The Sky (that is his official biography isn't it? Or have I got entirely the wrong book? Well it is early o'clock on a winter Monday morning yer knar.)

I am sure we all know that having lost his right lag above the knee and his left leg below the knee, he was told he'd never walk without a stick, to which he replied that he'd never walk with a stick, then he had his local garage swap the accelerator and clutch on his MG so that he had a little throttle control with his left leg and could thump the clutch with his right. And when the mechanic delivered the modified car to him, his hair was white after trying to control this beast.

Anyway, Bader had no intention of paying road tax and drove for years with the label off a Guiness bottle on the windscreen and nobody ever noticed. Course the problem lies in finding the old pattern Guiness label that went out in the 70s IIRC. The one that was a similar colour to the tax disc in the picture.

That said, how tight was Bader, the only pilot ever on a 100% disability pension and 100% fighter pilot pay?

I've got some genuine Guinness labels somewhere from 40's 50's and 60's, I'll try and dig them out. Look nothing like a tax disk though but useage of a Guinness label seems to be a common story. Nice legend though from a time when some things were more relaxed and before ANPR cameras and big brother CCTV.

I've got some genuine Guinness labels somewhere from 40's 50's and 60's, I'll try and dig them out. Look nothing like a tax disk though but useage of a Guinness label seems to be a common story. Nice legend though from a time when some things were more relaxed and before ANPR cameras and big brother CCTV.

... and it would make a good talking point at a display if anybody noticed. ;o)