M4 Treadway Pontoon Bridge training set

robin craig

Well,

I have to set the scene. Many years ago at the RE's school in Kent there was a classroom with a Bailey Bridge training set that was being used by a class as an aide to understanding how the how system worked on the field. It was a thing of beauty and made with such precision.

I have been trying to find one ever since, we will not mention a mate of mine who saw one being disposed of, for free, that he let slip through his hands. We will not mention that I am really not a fan of American military vehicles or militaria.

Anyway I digress. A number of weeks ago I found listed on ebay in the United States a Pontoon bridge training set. Infact it was a pile of boxes, 12 in all, most partially incomplete, it appears to be somewhere between 1:6 to 1:12 scale. The seller had recognised them as having value to someone and had bought them as part of a much larger purchase of parts.

There had been a couple of auctions with no takers. I contacted him and said that I was interested and would he be able to store the pallet weighing some 1,300 lbs until I could get it moved. The pertinent detail is that I live in Eastern Canada and he is in the western upper US in Oregon. That is a distance further than the UK to Canada.

So, thus far, I have liquidated an asset on hand to a fellow collector. My partner had made it very clear that this had to be self financing as we have already put our neck out for two Ferrets and a 3 acre chunk of land that we will be building on this year. The funds have now been despatched to the seller and now we are saving our pennies for the shipping to bring it back and the customs clearance. The freight costs are actually quite a bit bigger than the purchase price, this had been the stumbling block for many other people.

You might ask why given my opening statements have I bought this. From what I can see in the photos I have bought more than one set and with the rarity of such kit I felt that I would acquire it and make up the missing parts, I have a friend who has a casting and moulding business who has said he can make some of the parts. There may you see be an opportunity to complete two sets and set one of them off. As the Bailey sets are so rare I understand these are just about as rare. Who knows where this will lead but I know a full 1:1 scale set would not go over well at home so a few boxes are bearable.

I am would like to post some pictures but as the file sizes are too big I have to post a link here, hopefully this is ok with the moderators.

http://www.g503.com/ebay/bridge/

hope you guys enjoy this.

regards

Robin

i want to set it up in my garden.

what an amazing find.

It's all of that.

Two things spring to mind:

1) unfeasibly large bathtub not included.

2) Some assembly required.

:-D

Hopefully you've got at least one of every piece required, and can find the instruction manual and parts catalog.

Yes, I absolutely will set it up and test it on water, there is enough water around here as I live close to and work completely surrounded by water, namely that small crick the St Lawrence!

I intend to have some fun with it, for sure. Will also be taking it to a couple of MV events when I get it back and well sorted.

Thanks guys

R

• 2 years later...
Well,

I have to set the scene. Many years ago at the RE's school in Kent there was a classroom with a Bailey Bridge training set that was being used by a class as an aide to understanding how the how system worked on the field. It was a thing of beauty and made with such precision.

Robin

Hello Robin,

It is really sad that a few years ago when on a visit to the reserve collection at IWM Duxford we came across several rotting boxes full of one of the Bailey Bridge models at the back of a leaky open fronted garage, with pools of water in which these bits were lying.

We raised the issue with the official who was showing us around, and he shrugged it off, as something he couldn't do anything about.

The bits had been in beautifully fitted boxes with green baize liners. I believe that Bassett Lowke in Northampton who made them. Bassett Lowke were makers of live steam railway engine models in 2.5" gauge (and probably other sizes.).

Regards

Nick Balmer

Paul,

Thanks for that bi of info, there is a gent on here from the UK who will likely follow that lead as he has some of that kit and is looking for more.

At the moment I have all 12 boxes home and in the dry storage in our house but I have other pressing tasks a hand like building a garage to achieve. It may well be another winter before i get to go through it all and "play" with it.

R

• 7 years later...

Just to put this thread to rest. I am approaching sixty years of age and have started a purge of my life.

Regrettably the bridge sets were a great idea, I am admittedly too busy for my own good and have accepted the financial loss and have moved the whole lot along to a home that may display at least part of it.

I have over the past few years had to be part of the estates of several friends who have died and I want my things to be tidy when I do go, not that I plan to go soon. Deciding where things go is difficult at the best of times.

• Like 2